Feb 22, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
But they are going to have a very different team in Rio. First Blatt left the team and now Kirilenko is saying he is going to take this Olympic cycle off.
“After the All-Star Weekend, RBF President Alexander Krasnenkov and the Player of Russian national team Andrei Kirilenko had a discussion, and Andrei announced his decision not to play for the national team during the next Olympic cycle (four years)….
“I have made the decision, though to be honest it wasn’t easy,” Kirilenko said in the RBF statement. “Playing for honor and a responsibility all these years, I was proud to be part of the team.”
Russia is one of a few teams that will look a lot different in Brazil compared to London. At the top of the list is Argentina — it’s golden generation with Manu Ginobili, Luis Scola, Carlos Delfino, Andres Nocioni and Pablo Prigioni all likely gone will be a radically different squad.
Team USA will be different too because Mike Krzyzewski will not be coaching it. Who steps into that role remains to be seen, although the most commonly discussed names are Gregg Popovich (who they should take) and Doc Rivers (who is a good fallback).
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay