Feb 21, 2013, 2:16 AM EDT
It is now just a little less than 13 hours until the NBA trade deadline and we have had all of one whopping trade. Which means it’s going to be a very busy Thursday… probably. There are going to be deals, guys we expect to get dealt will get dealt, but there may be fewer surprises as teams are still very reticent to take on more tax money.
Here is where things stand as of this late Wednesday night/Thursday morning post as we head into the final hours.
• We have had one trade — last draft’s No. 5 pick Thomas Robinson, along with Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt plus a second round pick were sent to the Rockets from the Kings. In return, the Kings get Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich and Toney Douglas from the Rockets. In a related move Houston sent Marcus Morris to Phoenix (where he will now team up with his brother Markieff) for a second round pick.
For the Rockets, they get a serviceable rookie who should at least grow into a solid role player in Robinson, and they get most of his rookie deal. The Kings save a lot of money, which is what the Maloof family is into even if they are selling the Kings.
The Nets have been offering the same package — Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and a pick — to everyone for everything. So far the Hawks didn’t bite. The Celtics didn’t bite for Paul Pierce, the Bucks didn’t bite for Ersan Ilyasova, and it’s hard to see anyone really biting on that package.
The Bucks are offering deals mostly based around Monta Ellis and interestingly Smith said he wouldn’t rule out re-signing there this off-season. The Suns are offering Marcin Gortat, likely P.J. Tucker and some picks. It feels like the Hawks are going to make a move but are waiting to see if any of these deals gets sweetened before they make a move.
• J.J. Redick also is likely going to be moved before the deadline, the only question is where. Memphis, Indiana, Milwaukee, Chicago and Minnesota all have reportedly shown interest. And word has now come that the San Antonio Spurs are in the mix, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. He ads that the Magic are not opposed to keeping Redick the rest of the season but that seems unlikely.
• The Bobcats are still shopping Ben Gordon around, trying to unload the guard and his $13 million salary for next year. However, Howard Beck of the New York Times reports the Nets are not interested. At all.
• The Hornets are testing the waters for guard Eric Gordon. They had conversations with the Warriors about a swap for Klay Thompson, but I’m not sure how serious that really was. Plus, a lot of pieces would be needed to be added with Thompson to make the salaries work.
• Dallas has put Rodrigue Beaubois, Brandan Wright and Dominique Jones out there for potential trades, but they only want picks, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. What the Mavs do not want to do is take on more salary and mess with their cap space.
• The Knicks have shopped Ronnie Brewer around, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
• At Hoopsworld, the Pacers GM has shot down rumors that Danny Granger is available.
Aug 21, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
Gone are the days when Shaq would have used this as an opportunity to take a shot at Kobe.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
Why give up assets now, when either player could be signed outright as an unrestricted free agent next summer?
Aug 21, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
Stephen Curry: “We’re still taking applications.”
Aug 21, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
He denied this yesterday.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:59 PM EDT
Video of Durant telling this humorous story.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Silver says it’s ultimately the individual athlete’s personal choice.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Being Jeremy Lin’s parent must be an interesting experience. What do you say to him to correct him.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
It’s a great move, one Irving pulls off almost ever game.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Patience is the right play here. And patience is never popular with any fan base.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Coming back off foot surgery, this is a good thing.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
Blatt can coach, but if it takes a season for the Cavaliers to find their identity (as it did with LeBron in Miami) will he get the chance to stick around for it?
Aug 21, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT
If you’re now rebuilding in Minnesota, why trade Bennett?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Drummond is still a likely cut,
Aug 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
It’s all business for KD with Roc Nation getting in the act.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT
He also was a scoring machine at the showcase in Las Vegas.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
16 players will practice and be available for Friday’s game against Puerto Rico, but the roster needs to be trimmed to 12 in advance of the FIBA World Cup.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Rose hasn’t practiced since playing 24 minutes in Saturday’s win over Brazil.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Stephen Curry says yes, Kevin Durant says no.
Aug 20, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Nedovic had hoped to play for Serbia, but couldn’t get medical clearance.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 10
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 9
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 39
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 10