Feb 21, 2013, 2:16 AM EDT
It is now just a little less than 13 hours until the NBA trade deadline and we have had all of one whopping trade. Which means it’s going to be a very busy Thursday… probably. There are going to be deals, guys we expect to get dealt will get dealt, but there may be fewer surprises as teams are still very reticent to take on more tax money.
Here is where things stand as of this late Wednesday night/Thursday morning post as we head into the final hours.
• We have had one trade — last draft’s No. 5 pick Thomas Robinson, along with Francisco Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt plus a second round pick were sent to the Rockets from the Kings. In return, the Kings get Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich and Toney Douglas from the Rockets. In a related move Houston sent Marcus Morris to Phoenix (where he will now team up with his brother Markieff) for a second round pick.
For the Rockets, they get a serviceable rookie who should at least grow into a solid role player in Robinson, and they get most of his rookie deal. The Kings save a lot of money, which is what the Maloof family is into even if they are selling the Kings.
The Nets have been offering the same package — Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and a pick — to everyone for everything. So far the Hawks didn’t bite. The Celtics didn’t bite for Paul Pierce, the Bucks didn’t bite for Ersan Ilyasova, and it’s hard to see anyone really biting on that package.
The Bucks are offering deals mostly based around Monta Ellis and interestingly Smith said he wouldn’t rule out re-signing there this off-season. The Suns are offering Marcin Gortat, likely P.J. Tucker and some picks. It feels like the Hawks are going to make a move but are waiting to see if any of these deals gets sweetened before they make a move.
• J.J. Redick also is likely going to be moved before the deadline, the only question is where. Memphis, Indiana, Milwaukee, Chicago and Minnesota all have reportedly shown interest. And word has now come that the San Antonio Spurs are in the mix, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. He ads that the Magic are not opposed to keeping Redick the rest of the season but that seems unlikely.
• The Bobcats are still shopping Ben Gordon around, trying to unload the guard and his $13 million salary for next year. However, Howard Beck of the New York Times reports the Nets are not interested. At all.
• The Hornets are testing the waters for guard Eric Gordon. They had conversations with the Warriors about a swap for Klay Thompson, but I’m not sure how serious that really was. Plus, a lot of pieces would be needed to be added with Thompson to make the salaries work.
• Dallas has put Rodrigue Beaubois, Brandan Wright and Dominique Jones out there for potential trades, but they only want picks, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com. What the Mavs do not want to do is take on more salary and mess with their cap space.
• The Knicks have shopped Ronnie Brewer around, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
• At Hoopsworld, the Pacers GM has shot down rumors that Danny Granger is available.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:44 AM EDT
OKC led by as many as 25 points in the first half.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Roy Hibbert wasn’t good in Game 1 against the Hawks, and this play epitomized his performance.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The eight-seed Hawks blowout the Pacers in Game 1.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Blake Griffin totally did this on purpose.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Warriors steal Game 1 in Los Angeles.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
It looked good as soon as it left his hands.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
Playoff games are played in the halfcourt and the Nets owned that in Game 1.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
A rare and raw show of emotion from a team’s GM was caught on camera.
Nash to Nowitzki: ‘What would you do if you were me? Would you come back?’ Dirk: ‘I’m not sure, bro.’ (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Dirk Nowizki is brutally honest.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
“Garnett and Pierce are so old the Raptor had to ask his dad about them.”
Apr 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Words continue to be exchanged between two teams that clearly don’t like each other.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
The owners are behind Silver’s effort to raise the age limit. Now there’s just the pesky matter of negotiating with the players’ union.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
You can construct a scenario where the Pacers are in trouble… except they play the Hawks.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Making your playoff preview reading convenient.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT
Grizzlies’ guard will definitely be missed in the rotation.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:50 AM EDT
We may not see him on the sidelines of TNT games these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
This should be the East’s most competitive first round matchup.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
How quickly can Miami flip the switch?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Can the Pacers regain their early-season swagger now that the playoffs are here?
Apr 18, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Expect a fight by the end of Game 2.