Jeremy Lin: “I don’t even want to play tonight” after trade

Feb 21, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT

You would think after all he bounced around before breaking out last season in New York, then having to go through a free agency decision process, Jeremy Lin would be used to the sometimes cruel business of the NBA.

Nope.

When the Rockets traded Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, Marcus Morris and Toney Douglas it hit Lin very hard, reports CSNHouston.com.

“That was just pretty much the worst thing,” Jeremy Lin said. “It sucks because we’re a close-knit team and we actually really, really care about everybody that got shipped off and it was just really emotional for me

“To be honest, I was like ‘I don’t even want to play. I don’t even want to play tonight.’ It was really emotional. I wish them the best. It just sucks to see them go and I guess that’s a part of the business but that’s a tough part for me.”

He at least channeled that energy and scored 29 points as the Rockets upset the Thunder Wednesday night.

The Rockets won this trade — the Kings were dumping salary and the Rockets got Thomas Robinson, the talented No. 5 overall pick of the last draft. He’s struggled this season to find a role and figure out what he can and can’t make work at this level, but he’s a rookie. They struggle. In a couple years he likely figures it out at least enough to be a quality role player in this league and the Rockets get him on his cheep rookie deal for a few more years while he develops.

But sometimes we forget that these aren’t just fantasy league trades — guys’ livelihoods are impacted and families are asked to pack up and move in these deals. On a personal level it can be easy. But you have to go out and play

1. anotheryx - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I packed my bags and moved across country for a 20k pay raise, though I made the choice and not someone else. Just part of package for the business for these guys I guess.

2. kb2408 - Feb 21, 2013 at 9:31 AM

The Rockets are a very nice young team with this trade. They have building blocks for the future at several positions.

• bparmalee - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I love watching the Rockets but I don’t get this deal unless there’s another deal coming. Morris was a solid rotation guy….. too many 3′s I get that… but for a 2nd?? I also think this has Mchale’s finger prints all over it. All season players have fallen in and out of his dog house…. one of the same problems Skiles had with the Bucks… and he has let it throw his rotation off.

• ayochaser - Feb 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Making room for Terrence Jones and Royce White maybe? I’m not entirely sure about that but last year a lot of people thought Robinson was one of the most nba ready prospects and expected him to be much better than he has been. I still think he can be and on Houston his role will likely be bigger and somewhat more solid than it was in Sacramento.

3. polonelmeagrejr - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM

” On a personal level it can be easy” I believe he probably wanted to say it CAN’T be easy.

4. 1972wasalongtimeago - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Love the uni’s the Rockets wore last night. In their usual uni’s, it feels like we’re watching the Soviets, or the Red Wings; or like the guy in Airplane! said, big Tylenols.

• miamatt - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:22 AM

I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Feb 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM

lmao love it.

5. freudnumb - Feb 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I think Patterson was the last Rocket who played with Yao Ming … (a very injured one though)

6. money2long - Feb 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM

it’s funny, in the background you overhear the sadness of the narrating by lin but, a part of me feels like when they showed marcus morris in the clip, he was trying to contain his excitement about playing with his brother. he got a sad emotional hug from cole alrdrich, but in my head i was thinking morris is probably on the phone with his brother talking about how cool the next few months will be playing together. meanwhile lin is mourning lol. as well as the rest of the guys who got traded. i just feel morris is the only guy who isn’t sweating the trade that much. he may miss some of them, but i bet he feels like he’s moving to the better situation. brotherly love .

7. jcmeyer10 - Feb 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I have a feeling Lin will get over this as soon as he gets to play with Terrence Robinson.

• diabloryno - Feb 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Thomas?

• jcmeyer10 - Feb 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Yah, my bad. Regardless of me getting his name wrong, kid is a talent.

8. Mr. Wright 212 - Feb 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Who does Lin think he is??? Son is so pretentious and has that Alex Rodriguez gene when it comes to trying to say the absolute most perfect thing possible at all times, even at the risk of sounding completely unauthentic.

• pglive21 - Feb 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wow, so isn’t it possible that he may just be a little disappointed at losing teammates he was fond of playing with? He’s not posing just answering questions. Use your head Wright.

9. misterchainbluelightning - Feb 21, 2013 at 1:23 PM

What stupid thing to say, I can’t name a single leader in pro sport who as ever said such foolishness.
    Lin is soft as they come

• beavertonsteve - Feb 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

“I talked to Kevin last night and he’s still in shock. He was at a football game when he found out and he said he had to stop watching the game, he was so upset.”

-James Harden talking about Kevin Durant

• money2long - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:51 PM

if you were traded, would you like to have your former teammate speaking immediately after saying how much the trade impacted you or, “sayonara, don’t let the door hit ya”

10. bjoe23 - Feb 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM

cheap*
    jesus christ learn to spell if you are a professional writer

11. jimeejohnson - Feb 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM