Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
I was rooting for Brandon Roy to make it work. I was hoping he could come back, play in a limited role and still get to compete. It was clear his knees were not going to allow him to be Brandon Roy, three-time All-Star again, but I was rooting for his comeback.
But he has played in just five games for the Timberwolves this season and those were the first five games. He’s been out with knee pain since.
Adelman said Roy “hasn’t worked out with us” and doesn’t know “where he stands.”
“If he does play, it will be a pleasant surprise,” Adelman said before the Wolves’ game Wednesday night, Feb. 20, against Philadelphia at Target Center. “I don’t expect him at this point.”
The Timberwolves and Roy’s people have talked about a contract buyout, but they wanted to keep his salary on the rolls until after the trade deadline, in case they needed him to balance out a trade. Once the deadline passes a buyout likely will be announced and Roy will retire. Again.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona