Feb 21, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
I was rooting for Brandon Roy to make it work. I was hoping he could come back, play in a limited role and still get to compete. It was clear his knees were not going to allow him to be Brandon Roy, three-time All-Star again, but I was rooting for his comeback.
But he has played in just five games for the Timberwolves this season and those were the first five games. He’s been out with knee pain since.
Adelman said Roy “hasn’t worked out with us” and doesn’t know “where he stands.”
“If he does play, it will be a pleasant surprise,” Adelman said before the Wolves’ game Wednesday night, Feb. 20, against Philadelphia at Target Center. “I don’t expect him at this point.”
The Timberwolves and Roy’s people have talked about a contract buyout, but they wanted to keep his salary on the rolls until after the trade deadline, in case they needed him to balance out a trade. Once the deadline passes a buyout likely will be announced and Roy will retire. Again.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 6
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 35
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22