Actors with toy guns bring real police, guns, to Metta World Peace’s door

Feb 21, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Only in Metta World’s Peace’s world can this happen.

World Peace has his own movie production company — What? This surprises you? — and his company was filming some scenes for a movie near his condominium building, reports the Los Angeles Times. The actors in this, with their fake guns, decide to go rehearse a scene down on the street in front of the condo building — a very busy street — with their guns. Then they decided to play with the guns in front of the valet stand of the condo building.

You can see where this is going, right?

Really, we need to let  World Peace tell the story as he did the Times.

“I’m in my underwear and my son says, ‘Hey dad, there’s police at the door,’” World Peace said in an interview with The Times after the Lakers beat the Boston Celtics on Wednesday evening. “So I jump out, I’m nervous. I see these police with rifles and scopes.

“I’m like, ‘What happened?’ I don’t know what’s going on at this point. ‘What happened, what happened?’ And then the police was like, ‘The building is being taken over by guys downstairs.’”

“At first when I seen the police, I was like, ‘What the hell is going on?” World Peace said. “I just got finished watching ‘Zero Dark Thirty’ or whatever that movie is. I’m like, ‘I’m dreaming, I’m dreaming. Is there a terrorist in the building? Do y’all need my help?’”

You have got to love the way his mind works, jumping from association to association like a 15-year-old.

Metta World Peace lives in Westwood, a wealthy and densely populated area of West Los Angeles near the UCLA campus. The police don’t really find playing with guns in a crowded area of L.A. amusing, it turns out.

So World Peace puts on his Cookie Monster pajamas — What? This surprises you? — and goes outside with the police. (And yes, we’re serious about the PJs.)

“Like 20 cops’ cars are outside, like 10 more police,” he said. “My brother had his hands behind his back and [there were] helicopters. The whole Wilshire [Blvd.] was shut down. The street shut down. No cars nowhere.”

World Peace said that once the police realized that the suspects were actors, and that their guns were BB guns, the mood lightened.

“The police was laughing,” he said. “It was funny but it was irresponsible on the actors’ part because you do the scene and that’s it. They didn’t understand that after you do the scene, you put the stuff away.”

Life in Metta World Peace’s world is not anything like yours.

1. dacapt704 - Feb 21, 2013 at 1:44 PM

This guy lives in a movie…LOL..definitely will be on tv when his playing days are over

• fanofevilempire - Feb 21, 2013 at 3:29 PM

this could only happen to Ron, imagine he was the
      level headed person in this incident.
      people underestimate Ron but he is a smart guy.

mean while somewhere in LA, Kobe is considering retiring.

• dacapt704 - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:19 PM

LOL! I know right..when Metta Ron is the sensible one in the room we know the apocalypse is coming!

2. money2long - Feb 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM

haha world peace is a beast! hears from police with guns drawn out that his building is being taken over by thugs and asks, do you need my help!? haha gotta love the fearlessness in this guy sometimes. it’s what makes him

3. edweird0 - Feb 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

“Do y’all need my help?’” hahahahaha damn you gotta love this guy. He would totally say some sh!t like that

4. denverhoopdreams - Feb 21, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Artest is seriously one of my favorite NBA players. His character makes it even better. Just go on youtube and watch his interviews and you’ll be entertained for hours.

He also comes off much brighter than sports media likes to portray him.

5. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I would happen to fall into the category that DOESN’T love anything at all about Ron Artest. This dude is only capable of adversely effecting the world, and it is a damn shame that a young one has to grow up under the “guidance” of this clown.

Ron Artest legally changing his name to World Peace simply makes a mockery of the idea. It’s like satan asking his demonic subjects to refer to him as Jesus instead.

• denverhoopdreams - Feb 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Your problem is you believe in Satan and Jesus. What other fairy tales?

• money2long - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM

let’s leave religion out of this before we offend anyone in the slightest.

• mytthor - Feb 21, 2013 at 8:47 PM

what if I’m offended when christians state their fantasies like they’re facts as if I’m obligated to believe them?

• fventricle - Feb 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM

leave him alone captain wisdom…hes obv messed up in the head a bit but that doesn’t make him a bad person

• phillylawhopeful - Feb 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Were you born after November 19, 2004?

• jimeejohnson - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Too late!

• jimeejohnson - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

About religion.

• skids003 - Feb 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Why don’t you go back to MSNBC boards to spew your hate?

• pauleky - Feb 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM

It’s “hate” to criticize religion? Since when is it above criticism? I would agree these boards aren’t the place to discuss it unless the article is about religion, but this is America. We’re free to criticize religion just as others are free to worship as they see fit.

• mytthor - Feb 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Look, no one is saying MWP is without fault. He’s a mentally unstable guy with issues controlling his temper.

But at the same time, he’s admitted that problem, and he’s tried to be really honest and up front with his problems, and tried to bring a lot of awareness to mental health issues. Will changing his name to Metta World Peace really help anything? Probably not. But it’s not doing any harm either.

I believe if I were broken down on the side of the road, he would pull over and help me change my spare tire. I think he would run into a burning building to save some kids. He gives 110% on the basketball court. It’s definitely not true that he’s only capable of adversely affecting the world. He’s caught a lot of flack, rightfully so, but he’s also won a citizenship award.

But honestly, the worst thing he’s known for, at the end of the day, is trying to start a fight with a guy that threw a beer in his face. I think a lot of people can claim to have done worse things in their life.

6. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I’m sure Ron is capable of being an alright guy, I just chose to take it to an extreme to convey my message. Watching the clip of him delivering the elbow to Harden’s head, and hearing his childish and pathetic explanation of his actions afterward…that moment confirmed to me who Ron Artest is.

My point: it just doesn’t feel right with such a reputed villain donning a name like “World Peace.”

• jimeejohnson - Feb 21, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Might as well have been Whirled Peas!

7. loungefly74 - Feb 22, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Cap’n Ron Ron lives with a “Looney Tunes” soundtrack playing in his mind…that said, i love the guy!

8. jrconley4 - Feb 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

“Peace”, people (nothing to see here).

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview