Feb 20, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
The small deals are beginning to trickle in as the trade deadline approaches, and although this one involves three teams, it’s not exactly likely to send huge seismic waves throughout the league at large.
From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
The Houston Rockets have traded Marcus Morris to the Phoenix Suns for a future second-round draft pick, league sources tell Y! Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 21, 2013
The rest of this deal involves the Sacramento Kings sending rookie Thomas Robinson, along with Francsico Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt to Houston in exchange for Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, and Toney Douglas.
In Phoenix, the Suns have reunited the Morris twins on the same roster, after drafting Marcus’ brother Markieff Morris with the 13th overall pick of the 2011 NBA draft.
Marcus Morris has appeared in 54 games for the Rockets this season, including 17 as a member of the starting lineup. He’s averaging 8.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in 21.4 minutes per game, while shooting 42.8 percent from the field and 38.1 percent from three-point distance.
Keep in mind that while we’re in the midst of a lost season for the Suns — one in which the team underachieved and fired a tenured and proven head coach — the team’s president and GM are both in the final year of their contracts.
The moves that the basketball people signed off on before the season began haven’t exactly panned out, with the idea to bring in Michael Beasley as the team’s primary option offensively being the worst of the bunch.
This move by itself doesn’t make much sense for the Suns, other than being a very slight upgrade over the Morris twin that’s already in place. If it’s the first of a series of deals, then we’ll see how they all shake out before judging too harshly. But if nothing else, expect a desperate front office staff to continue to try to pull the trigger on anything it can sell to ownership before Thursday’s trade deadline passes.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18