Feb 20, 2013, 8:21 PM EDT
The small deals are beginning to trickle in as the trade deadline approaches, and although this one involves three teams, it’s not exactly likely to send huge seismic waves throughout the league at large.
From Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:
The Houston Rockets have traded Marcus Morris to the Phoenix Suns for a future second-round draft pick, league sources tell Y! Sports.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 21, 2013
The rest of this deal involves the Sacramento Kings sending rookie Thomas Robinson, along with Francsico Garcia and Tyler Honeycutt to Houston in exchange for Patrick Patterson, Cole Aldrich, and Toney Douglas.
In Phoenix, the Suns have reunited the Morris twins on the same roster, after drafting Marcus’ brother Markieff Morris with the 13th overall pick of the 2011 NBA draft.
Marcus Morris has appeared in 54 games for the Rockets this season, including 17 as a member of the starting lineup. He’s averaging 8.6 points and 4.1 rebounds in 21.4 minutes per game, while shooting 42.8 percent from the field and 38.1 percent from three-point distance.
Keep in mind that while we’re in the midst of a lost season for the Suns — one in which the team underachieved and fired a tenured and proven head coach — the team’s president and GM are both in the final year of their contracts.
The moves that the basketball people signed off on before the season began haven’t exactly panned out, with the idea to bring in Michael Beasley as the team’s primary option offensively being the worst of the bunch.
This move by itself doesn’t make much sense for the Suns, other than being a very slight upgrade over the Morris twin that’s already in place. If it’s the first of a series of deals, then we’ll see how they all shake out before judging too harshly. But if nothing else, expect a desperate front office staff to continue to try to pull the trigger on anything it can sell to ownership before Thursday’s trade deadline passes.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65