Feb 20, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Who is looking to pick up a 35-year-old player who is shooting the lowest percentage of his career this season and is due to make $15.3 million next season?
When you say the name Paul Pierce we think of the NBA finals MVP and Celtic icon. But GMs see the numbers above, see the increasing tax levels and repeater tax that are about to start to kick in and are balking at trade talks involving the veteran forward, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
I don’t want to see Pierce moved — I like it that some players spend their entire careers in one place. Tim Duncan is a Spur. Kobe Bryant a Laker. Pierce is a Celtic. Not a Sun or a Net or anything else. He’s a Celtics and it would be weird to type anything else.
In the end, I think the Celtics roster is going to add some depth on the fringes — maybe move Fab Melo or role players — then come back next season with a hopefully healthy Rajon Rondo, KG and Pierce and see if they have one more run in the last year of Pierce’s contract.
Because nobody else wants him and that deal right now.
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7
- PBT Extra: Wizards’ backcourt owning matchup with Toronto 0