Feb 20, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Who is looking to pick up a 35-year-old player who is shooting the lowest percentage of his career this season and is due to make $15.3 million next season?
When you say the name Paul Pierce we think of the NBA finals MVP and Celtic icon. But GMs see the numbers above, see the increasing tax levels and repeater tax that are about to start to kick in and are balking at trade talks involving the veteran forward, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
I don’t want to see Pierce moved — I like it that some players spend their entire careers in one place. Tim Duncan is a Spur. Kobe Bryant a Laker. Pierce is a Celtic. Not a Sun or a Net or anything else. He’s a Celtics and it would be weird to type anything else.
In the end, I think the Celtics roster is going to add some depth on the fringes — maybe move Fab Melo or role players — then come back next season with a hopefully healthy Rajon Rondo, KG and Pierce and see if they have one more run in the last year of Pierce’s contract.
Because nobody else wants him and that deal right now.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 31
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5