Feb 20, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
Atlanta doesn’t have to rush with Josh Smith. Well, sure, there is the trade deadline at 3 ET on Thursday. But they have the biggest name and best player available on the trade block right now and a lot of teams calling them. Atlanta GM Danny Ferry is not taking the first offer he sees.
But the Nets still want Smith and they may be in a better position to keep him than anyone else in the trading mix.
Brooklyn’s offer: MarShon Brooks, Kris Humphries and a first-rounder for Smith, a person familiar with the proposed deal told USA TODAY Sports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because of fluid negotiations.
This has always seemed the fallback for the Hawks for me. The Hawks don’t love it. They don’t want Humphries and the $12 million he is owed next season, but the pick and Brooks are more like what they are interested in. They might be able to flip him this summer or next season, but it’s not ideal.
But the Nets are the one team that might give Smith the five year, $90 million extension he wants. And he certainly is a big upgrade
The Bucks are still active in the Smith conversations, with Monta Ellis possibly in the mix. The Clippers, Spurs and Suns have all had some level of conversation about Smith. The Wizards were in the mix for a bit, too, but they have pulled out because the Hawks want young assets back and the Wizards are trying to build with them, Amick reported.
More and more it is clear Josh Smith should have a bag packed by the door. He’s on the move. The question is where will the plane ticket take him?
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 0
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 10
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31