Feb 20, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT
At this point, I pretty much picture Nets GM Billy King like the peanut vendor at a baseball game, walking around asking, “Who wants Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and a first round pick? Get them while they’re hot. Gotcha Humphries here!”
“The Celtics still highly value Pierce and it wouldn’t make sense to trade him for that kind of a package if they’re keeping Kevin Garnett,” one league source said.
And they are keeping KG because he has a no trade clause and says he’s going to use it.
Two things here.
First, every trade deadline Danny Ainge flirts with blowing up the Celtics, only to not do it. Feels like that again. Maybe one day he’ll do it, but more than likely he waits to the summer of 2014 and watches Pierce and Garnett retire.
Second, the Nets are just sad and desperate. King overpaid for Humphries and is locked into this roster with no real way out. They have shopped this package to roughly 29 other teams, plus likely CSKA Moscow and AC Milan. Probably Kentucky, too. The Nets are stuck because Humphries has regressed and with the looming more severe luxury tax penalties nobody wants to take on a player making that much who isn’t contributing a lot.
The Nets have backed themselves into a financial corner and the question really is who will be GM this summer to get them out it? King is in the last year of his deal.
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7