Feb 20, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT
At this point, I pretty much picture Nets GM Billy King like the peanut vendor at a baseball game, walking around asking, “Who wants Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and a first round pick? Get them while they’re hot. Gotcha Humphries here!”
“The Celtics still highly value Pierce and it wouldn’t make sense to trade him for that kind of a package if they’re keeping Kevin Garnett,” one league source said.
And they are keeping KG because he has a no trade clause and says he’s going to use it.
Two things here.
First, every trade deadline Danny Ainge flirts with blowing up the Celtics, only to not do it. Feels like that again. Maybe one day he’ll do it, but more than likely he waits to the summer of 2014 and watches Pierce and Garnett retire.
Second, the Nets are just sad and desperate. King overpaid for Humphries and is locked into this roster with no real way out. They have shopped this package to roughly 29 other teams, plus likely CSKA Moscow and AC Milan. Probably Kentucky, too. The Nets are stuck because Humphries has regressed and with the looming more severe luxury tax penalties nobody wants to take on a player making that much who isn’t contributing a lot.
The Nets have backed themselves into a financial corner and the question really is who will be GM this summer to get them out it? King is in the last year of his deal.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP