Feb 20, 2013, 5:38 PM EST
At this point, I pretty much picture Nets GM Billy King like the peanut vendor at a baseball game, walking around asking, “Who wants Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and a first round pick? Get them while they’re hot. Gotcha Humphries here!”
“The Celtics still highly value Pierce and it wouldn’t make sense to trade him for that kind of a package if they’re keeping Kevin Garnett,” one league source said.
And they are keeping KG because he has a no trade clause and says he’s going to use it.
Two things here.
First, every trade deadline Danny Ainge flirts with blowing up the Celtics, only to not do it. Feels like that again. Maybe one day he’ll do it, but more than likely he waits to the summer of 2014 and watches Pierce and Garnett retire.
Second, the Nets are just sad and desperate. King overpaid for Humphries and is locked into this roster with no real way out. They have shopped this package to roughly 29 other teams, plus likely CSKA Moscow and AC Milan. Probably Kentucky, too. The Nets are stuck because Humphries has regressed and with the looming more severe luxury tax penalties nobody wants to take on a player making that much who isn’t contributing a lot.
The Nets have backed themselves into a financial corner and the question really is who will be GM this summer to get them out it? King is in the last year of his deal.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)