Feb 20, 2013, 5:38 PM EDT
At this point, I pretty much picture Nets GM Billy King like the peanut vendor at a baseball game, walking around asking, “Who wants Kris Humphries, MarShon Brooks and a first round pick? Get them while they’re hot. Gotcha Humphries here!”
“The Celtics still highly value Pierce and it wouldn’t make sense to trade him for that kind of a package if they’re keeping Kevin Garnett,” one league source said.
And they are keeping KG because he has a no trade clause and says he’s going to use it.
Two things here.
First, every trade deadline Danny Ainge flirts with blowing up the Celtics, only to not do it. Feels like that again. Maybe one day he’ll do it, but more than likely he waits to the summer of 2014 and watches Pierce and Garnett retire.
Second, the Nets are just sad and desperate. King overpaid for Humphries and is locked into this roster with no real way out. They have shopped this package to roughly 29 other teams, plus likely CSKA Moscow and AC Milan. Probably Kentucky, too. The Nets are stuck because Humphries has regressed and with the looming more severe luxury tax penalties nobody wants to take on a player making that much who isn’t contributing a lot.
The Nets have backed themselves into a financial corner and the question really is who will be GM this summer to get them out it? King is in the last year of his deal.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43