Feb 20, 2013, 7:28 PM EST
As the trade deadline rapidly approaches, the biggest name expected to be dealt is Atlanta’s Josh Smith.
The latest reports have Milwaukee, Brooklyn, and Phoenix as the most likely trade partners, and if the most recent information out of Smith’s camp is indeed true, then the Bucks may have reason to push even harder to secure Smith’s services.
Josh Smith is not opposed to Milwaukee — the city or the weather — and likes the Bucks’ roster enough to re-sign there if traded, a league source told CBSSports.com Wednesday.
With less than 24 hours before Thursday’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, the Bucks, Suns and Nets are the most realistic suitors in a trade for Smith, sources said. Milwaukee’s chances of landing the 6-9 forward were viewed in some league circles as diminished by the team’s small-market and cold-weather status. Smith, however, is more interested in the talent he’ll be playing with than geography.
That last part might be the reason Smith ends up elsewhere.
In order to trade for Smith, the Bucks would have to part with Monta Ellis at minimum, which would break up the backcourt team of Ellis and Brandon Jennings that would likely be part of the reason Smith would be excited to re-sign in Milwaukee in the first place.
Nevertheless, it’s good news for the Milwaukee front office that a high-priced free-agent-to-be would consider signing a long-term deal with the franchise. We’ll see if the Bucks are able to walk the fine line between giving up enough for Smith in trade, while still retaining enough talent to keep him excited about playing there in the future.
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 1
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 17
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 9
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)