Feb 20, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
There is no shortage of New Orleans Hornets fans ready to ship Eric Gordon out of town. He begged the Hornets not to match the Suns max offer sheet last summer (the Hornets did) then he’s been out with a knee injury that seemed mysterious to some. Since his return he’s had good games and others where it looked like he wanted to be anywhere else.
The Hornets tried to accommodate those fans, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN. But it hasn’t gone well.
Sources confirm the Hornets would be interested in any trade deal with the Golden State Warriors that would include second-year shooting guard Klay Thompson. But sources indicate the Warriors are reluctant to part ways with Thompson, whom they feel is a young emerging star.
And by reluctant, what Golden State is really saying “no %&$#@* way.”
While we’ve blamed a lot of things this trade deadline on the new luxury tax rules, this is not one of them. This is logic.
Gordon is in the first year of a four-year max contract, is coming off missing a lot of games because of his knee, and is shooting just 40.8 percent this season when he does play. He’s been average. Nobody is going to lock themselves into three more years of max salary for that.
So it’s a catch-22 — the only way he gets moved is to play better, but if he plays better the Hornets are less likely to move him.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28