Feb 20, 2013, 9:56 AM EDT
There is no shortage of New Orleans Hornets fans ready to ship Eric Gordon out of town. He begged the Hornets not to match the Suns max offer sheet last summer (the Hornets did) then he’s been out with a knee injury that seemed mysterious to some. Since his return he’s had good games and others where it looked like he wanted to be anywhere else.
The Hornets tried to accommodate those fans, tweets Chris Broussard of ESPN. But it hasn’t gone well.
Sources: New Orleans has made Eric Gordon available for trade. Trade not likely though as clubs concerned about EG's health going forward.—
Chris Broussard (@Chris_Broussard) February 20, 2013
Sources confirm the Hornets would be interested in any trade deal with the Golden State Warriors that would include second-year shooting guard Klay Thompson. But sources indicate the Warriors are reluctant to part ways with Thompson, whom they feel is a young emerging star.
And by reluctant, what Golden State is really saying “no %&$#@* way.”
While we’ve blamed a lot of things this trade deadline on the new luxury tax rules, this is not one of them. This is logic.
Gordon is in the first year of a four-year max contract, is coming off missing a lot of games because of his knee, and is shooting just 40.8 percent this season when he does play. He’s been average. Nobody is going to lock themselves into three more years of max salary for that.
So it’s a catch-22 — the only way he gets moved is to play better, but if he plays better the Hornets are less likely to move him.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 0
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 6
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 5
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1