Feb 20, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
While he denies it, multiple reports suggest Brandon Jennings wants out of Milwaukee. His hiring of a new agent known for getting players to big markets adds fuel to that fire.
But the latest reports suggest the Bucks want to hold on to Jennings and are willing to ship his backcourt mate Monta Ellis out of town.
Yet amid all of those talks, sources say, Jennings has moved alongside Larry Sanders and John Henson on the Bucks’ list of near-untouchables. This is despite Jennings’ widely presumed desire to leave Milwaukee in free agency this summer after failing to seal a contract extension in October like fellow point guards Jrue Holiday, Stephen Curry and Ty Lawson and then changing agents earlier this month.
Of course, if you were going to try and trade a guy, this is what you’d leak. It’s all about the leverage.
Jennings is a restricted free agent this summer and the Bucks are likely to match any offer that isn’t floating well into the eight digits a year. The question with Jennings is how much are you willing to pay for potential? He is averaging 18.8 points a game, but is shooting less than 40 percent. He’s an above average point guard right now, but the question is how much are you willing to pay for potential?
One thing is clear, the Bucks are about to undergo some real shifts. One way or another.
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 5
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 4
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 60
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 68
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31