Feb 20, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
While he denies it, multiple reports suggest Brandon Jennings wants out of Milwaukee. His hiring of a new agent known for getting players to big markets adds fuel to that fire.
But the latest reports suggest the Bucks want to hold on to Jennings and are willing to ship his backcourt mate Monta Ellis out of town.
Yet amid all of those talks, sources say, Jennings has moved alongside Larry Sanders and John Henson on the Bucks’ list of near-untouchables. This is despite Jennings’ widely presumed desire to leave Milwaukee in free agency this summer after failing to seal a contract extension in October like fellow point guards Jrue Holiday, Stephen Curry and Ty Lawson and then changing agents earlier this month.
Of course, if you were going to try and trade a guy, this is what you’d leak. It’s all about the leverage.
Jennings is a restricted free agent this summer and the Bucks are likely to match any offer that isn’t floating well into the eight digits a year. The question with Jennings is how much are you willing to pay for potential? He is averaging 18.8 points a game, but is shooting less than 40 percent. He’s an above average point guard right now, but the question is how much are you willing to pay for potential?
One thing is clear, the Bucks are about to undergo some real shifts. One way or another.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11