Feb 20, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
We’re seeing the list of teams that are coming out and saying they won’t be doing anything at the trade deadline grow longer by the minute, and with good reason.
The new tax structure in the recently negotiated collective bargaining agreement, which goes into full effect next season, is scaring teams from adding salary and going into luxury- or repeater-tax territory, even if a trade would help in terms of projected wins and losses.
The Knicks are among the teams well over the $58.044 million salary cap number the league put in place for 2012-13, and are already into luxury tax territory with their team payroll for this season coming in at over $80 million, well over the $70.307 million tax-paying threshold.
With all of that in mind, and with no blockbuster deal on the horizon that would be certain to improve the Knicks to the point of a guaranteed trip to the Finals, the comments from the team’s head coach on Wednesday regarding the possibility of a deal happening in advance of Thursday’s deadline were not surprising.
From Al Innazzone of Newsday:
Mike Woodson reiterated that he doesn’t expect the Knicks to make a trade before Thursday’s deadline and that Iman Shumpert would remain in New York.
“I think we’ll sit tight and try to make this final run with what we have,” Woodson said at Wednesday morning’s shootaround.
Of course, things can change between now and 3 p.m. Thursday.
Shumpert wasn’t fetching anywhere near what the Knicks were hoping for in return, so it makes sense to keep a solid perimeter defender who’s still on his rookie contract, rather than add veteran pieces that may or may not be long-term fits for what the team is trying to accomplish.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 13
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20