Feb 20, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
He said the Lakers have a two-year title window right now — this and next season — and they plan on having Howard and Kobe Bryant back next season together. He said Gasol would not be traded “today or tomorrow” so take that as the summer window is still open. It sounds like the Lakers will make a run at it next season with this group, then we’ll see.
10:37 am: The “Lakers are going to trade Dwight Howard” rumors will not die.
Despite Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak flatly denying it every time it is mentioned. Despite Kupchak directly telling Howard he would not trade him. Despite other teams from around the league saying if you call about Howard the Lakers basically hang up on you.
Despite all evidence, people keep thinking the Lakers will move Howard. Some sports television networks seem to want to keep it alive. Dwight Howard’s own camp may want to keep it alive. It’s moot.
Let’s let Lakers.com and Lakers sideline reporter Mike Trudell say it again.
Kupchak said that, for the record, Dwight Howard won't be traded.—
Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) February 20, 2013
You keep seeing the trade talk and you see things like the rumor in the New York Post yesterday and you think, “Somebody is working hard to get Howard out of Los Angeles.” My question: Is that person someone in Howard’s camp?
Regardless, the Lakers plan to try and keep Howard this summer. They will offer him a max extension. If he is going to leave the franchise (he can as a free agent this summer), they are going to make him look like the bad guy in doing it. He is going to have to walk away from the franchise of Wilt, Kareem, Mikan and Shaq. He will walk away from the challenge. He will have to take the hit to his image and legacy. Los Angeles is not going to make it easy for him.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16