Feb 20, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
There has never been anyone more likely to be moved at the deadline than J.J. Redick. It’s not that they don’t want to re-sign the free agent and keep him, it’s that contending teams that need a shooter will play more for him next summer than the Magic are willing to pay. So they need to get something for him now.
A lot of teams are in the Redick mix — because who doesn’t need a shooter? The latest is the Memphis Grizzlies, as tweeted by the well-connected Chris Vernon of 92.9 FM ESPN radio in Memphis. That would make a lot of sense for a Grizzlies team that wants to space the floor to give Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol room to operate.
But the Magic have options. And because of that their demands remain high, they want a first round pick back, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Indiana, Milwaukee, Chicago and Minnesota have expressed interest in trading for Redick, but teams have been reluctant to give up a first-round pick and a good young player for a player who could turn into a rental for the rest of the season.
The Philadelphia 76ers could be a real possibility for Redick in free agency, sources told Yahoo! Sports. Redick has a strong relationship with coach Doug Collins, the father of his close friend and Duke assistant coach, Chris Collins.
The Bucks are interesting, they are a team that has put itself in the Josh Smith sweepstakes. The original report suggested that the idea was based around a Monta Ellis for Josh Smith trade (not sure why Atlanta would do that but there’s your rumor). If Ellis is moved for Smith or anyone then Redick makes sense for them as a fill in at the two and gives the Bucks a backcourt starter who shoots better than 40 percent.
But Chris Broussard of ESPN says Smith wants to play with Ellis and Jennings, forming a team of guys who will put up bricks from beyond 16 feet. Hard to see how that comes together, or how the Bucks could sign all three of those guys as free agents next summer. So again, not a lot of sense to me there, but the Bucks are being aggressive.
One way or another Redick will get moved, but the Magic can be a little patient (until Thursday) to see what the best offer will be.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 7
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7