Feb 19, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
We told you, the big deals we love to talk about are not as likely to happen this year. There’s a lot of buzz about the Celtics but if you were around Kevin Garnett at all All-Star weekend you saw a guy adamant he is not waiving he no trade clause. The Lakers are not moving Dwight Howard and nobody is taking the injured Pau Gasol. The Clippers likely hold on to Eric Bledsoe. And so on and so on….
But there will be a lot of smaller deals as the deadline nears. Here is a Tuesday morning roundup of things you might be on the lookout for.
• The Thunder are shopping backup point guard Eric Maynor around, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com. While he has struggled and been injured the past couple seasons he has potential and is a restricted free agent this summer — some team is going to offer more tan the Thunder are willing to pay for him. So they are trying to move him now.
• There have been multiple reports in recent days that the Timberwolves have been aggressive in trying to add a veteran or two to the roster.
• The Chicago Bulls are just over the luxury tax line and may trade to get under it for a year, especially with uncertainty as to when Derrick Rose returns, reports CBS’s Berger. This is that fear of the repeater tax again and they are putting Richard Hamilton on the block.
• If the Lakers are going to make a move it is likely a small one, and Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni would like it to be for Raja Bell, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Not sure that happens, however.
• Golden State is about $1 million over the tax line. With a repeater tax kicking in starting next summer, look for them to make a small move to shed a little salary and get under the line, reports CBS’s Berger.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 PM EST
Brad Stevens reportedly likes Prince, so a buyout may not be in the cards.
Derek Fisher didn’t realize motivating his players would be such a big part of being an NBA head coach
Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Fisher played 18 years, and claims that his motivation always came from within.
After being fined for obscene gesture, Dwyane Wade asks NBA to improve on ways it protects players from fans
Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Wade was fined for flipping off some fans who he believed crossed the line.
Jan 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
“He had his chance to reach out,” Waiters said.
Jan 24, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Howard left the game after just eight minutes and did not return.
Jan 24, 2015, 3:17 PM EST
Aldridge has a tear in his left thumb, and was originally set to be sidelined 6-8 weeks.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Drama in Dallas?
Jan 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
The inside access here makes this a must-watch.
Jan 24, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Before recent trades, players believed the team would go no further than the second round of the playoffs.
Jan 24, 2015, 9:30 AM EST
Green was completely amazed, just like the rest of us.
Jan 24, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
That is as good a step-back jumper as you will see.
Jan 24, 2015, 2:00 AM EST
There are $25 million Kobe will be back next season.
Jan 24, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Somebody is making their All-Star case.
Jan 24, 2015, 12:16 AM EST
Lakers star could also above and beyond and chase Michael Jordan’s comeback
Mark Cuban says fan voting system for All-Stars is ‘broken,’ small number of total votes shows ‘nobody cares’
Jan 23, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
Cuban want to eliminate fans voting for the All-Star starters.
Jan 23, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
It’s a good thing, because he received fewer votes than Marcin Gortat.
Jan 23, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Maybe, but the field is simply too crowded in the West for Ellis to have a reasonable shot.
Jan 23, 2015, 8:15 PM EST
I’m no expert in copyright law, but this strikes me as the kind of lawsuit that gets settled out of court.
Jan 23, 2015, 7:15 PM EST
So he plans to play for the Knicks until 2050?
Jan 23, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
Shumpert was acquired as part of the deal that sent Dion Waiters to OKC.
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 15
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12
- Report: Lakers expect Kobe Bryant to miss rest of season 19