Feb 19, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
We told you, the big deals we love to talk about are not as likely to happen this year. There’s a lot of buzz about the Celtics but if you were around Kevin Garnett at all All-Star weekend you saw a guy adamant he is not waiving he no trade clause. The Lakers are not moving Dwight Howard and nobody is taking the injured Pau Gasol. The Clippers likely hold on to Eric Bledsoe. And so on and so on….
But there will be a lot of smaller deals as the deadline nears. Here is a Tuesday morning roundup of things you might be on the lookout for.
• The Thunder are shopping backup point guard Eric Maynor around, reports Ken Berger at CBSSports.com. While he has struggled and been injured the past couple seasons he has potential and is a restricted free agent this summer — some team is going to offer more tan the Thunder are willing to pay for him. So they are trying to move him now.
• There have been multiple reports in recent days that the Timberwolves have been aggressive in trying to add a veteran or two to the roster.
• The Chicago Bulls are just over the luxury tax line and may trade to get under it for a year, especially with uncertainty as to when Derrick Rose returns, reports CBS’s Berger. This is that fear of the repeater tax again and they are putting Richard Hamilton on the block.
• If the Lakers are going to make a move it is likely a small one, and Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni would like it to be for Raja Bell, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports. Not sure that happens, however.
• Golden State is about $1 million over the tax line. With a repeater tax kicking in starting next summer, look for them to make a small move to shed a little salary and get under the line, reports CBS’s Berger.
Jul 7, 2015, 7:42 PM EDT
Villanueva will back up Dirk Nowitzki as floor-spreading power forward
Jul 7, 2015, 6:46 PM EDT
Clippers having a nice offseason – minus that one move that defines their offseason
Jul 7, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
The one-year deal keeps their cap space alive next summer to chase Kevin Durant.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
Dallas had a good July, too.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
The Knicks and Magic essentially swap reserve centers.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:35 PM EDT
“Listen, we had one priority this summer, and that was to re-sign DJ, and we missed out on that.” — J.J. Redick on the Clippers summer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
The Bulls are getting the band back together.
Jul 7, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The Lakers were not free agency losers like some think.
Jul 7, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
Look for the Warriors to waive Wallace using the stretch provision.
Jul 7, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
Julius Randle, L.A.’s first round pick last year, missed the Summer League opener due to a contract issue.
Jul 7, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
Exum looked great, the injury did not.
Jul 7, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
The reigning Sixth Man of the Year signed a free agent deal with the Lakers.
Dwyane Wade cites his scoring average when asked how long he’ll continue to play: ‘I think I’ll stay around a while’
Jul 7, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
Wade was the third leading scorer in the East last season, but missed 20 games due to a combination rest and injury.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:31 AM EDT
Teams aren’t allowed to discuss deals during the moratorium period, which is still going on.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
KG will be back for a record 21st NBA season.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
Cleveland just added Mo Williams, but Smith (and Matthew Dellavedova) will likely be back.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
The 12th overall pick hasn’t practiced with the Jazz, and remains unsigned. But the GM says “No worries.”
Jul 7, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Okafor had some impressive moments.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
This is the kind of thing that all that new television revenue should go to.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
All I have ever argued about LeBron’s legacy is that you can’t compare it right now to Magic or Jordan or Bird or whoever because he’s still playing at the peak of his game.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 15
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 13
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 16
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 23
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80