Feb 19, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
We are slaves to our technology — when it goes bad we feel like we’re back in the middle ages.
Or in the case of the Verizon center in Washington Tuesday night, the 1970s NBA.
The arena’s main scoreboard was malfunctioning, as were the 24-second clocks over the basket at both ends. And the buzzer.
So they brought out some old school on-the-floor 24-second clocks for baseline, and they brought in a scoreboard for the ground in front of the scorer’s table with time and score (see photo). Officials used an air horn to buzz guys in and out of the game. Mike Prada of Bullets Forever was tweeting about it.
On the television broadcast you don’t notice too many differences — the bug on the corner of the screen still has the constant score and time. And in the arena there are scoreboards along the sides that certainly were not around in the 1970s.
Still there is a bit of a throwback feel to the arena for this game. Too bad it wasn’t retro uniform night.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record