Report: Dwight Howard mocked Kobe Bryant in All-Star locker room

Feb 19, 2013, 11:56 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Let’s start out right here — take this report with a grain of salt. Actually, a handful of kosher salt. I say that because there was no buzz about this in Houston. I say take the salt because every NBA reporter in America who breaks these kind of stories was in Houston and it leaked out through a celebrity page a couple days later. And I say grab salt because it seems over the top.

But the New York Post (another reason to take with salt) is reporting that Dwight Howard mocked Kobe Bryant behind his back in the All-Star Game locker room.

Relations between Kobe Bryant and his Lakers teammate Dwight Howard were beyond icy during the weekend’s All-Star game in Houston — with Howard mocking Bryant behind his back in the locker room, sources exclusively tell Page Six. Amid other reports that the Lakers’ chilly on-court chemistry was spilling into the locker room, we’re told that Howard “grabbed Kobe’s uniform, put it on, and imitated him in front of all the other players on the West team. He was joking and berating Kobe” to fellow NBA stars, including the Clippers’ Chris Paul and Blake Griffin and Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant. The source added Bryant later arrived in the locker room, “said hello to everyone on the team except Howard, grabbed his stuff and moved as far away from Howard as he could.”

Expect the denials from Howard in 5…4…3…

And I’ll actually believe Howard on this one. This report seems over the top, even for him. I feel I have to pass this report along, but I’ll say again I don’t believe it and won’t until we get better confirmation. Not that it’s impossible, I just don’t see it.

I will say that Dwight Howard seemed back to his joking, having fun self more over the weekend as attention was lavished on him and he was in a game without the weight of expectations and desperation that comes with the Lakers games now. He was taking half-court hook shots in All-Star warm-ups and shot a three pointer in the game. He liked the lighter mood of the weekend. Until people asked him about the Lakers, then he just seemed miserable again.

So where does the rumor come from? Well, if you were in Howard’s camp and wanted the Lakers to trade him, this would be a good rumor to start. If you were a team interested in trading for Dwight Howard or getting him as a free agent this summer, then leaking this kind of rumor to hopefully drive more of a wedge in the Lakers locker room is a strategy. But that’s very different than reality.

1. glink123 - Feb 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I’d love to see Kobe knock this clown right the f @ c k out.

• stoutfiles - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Clowns who joke are much better than clowns who cheat on their wives.

• mazblast - Feb 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Kobe only picks on small, defenseless women. I doubt that he’s ever fought a man in his life.

Still, I’d like to see this fight if it happens. At least one of the two would wind up on the ground, bloody and a**-kicked.

2. Mr. Wright 212 - Feb 19, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Howard = John Salley 2.0.

• 00maltliquor - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Don’t dissrespect “Spider” Salley, please.

3. omniusprime - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Kurt Helin are you really so stupid to think that anything the New York Post writes has any truth to it? I mean you can never trust any Murdoch garbage media report. It’s pretty obvious this was another made-up story by the corrupt conservative entertainment complex. I’m glad you couched your comments by telling us to take the story with a whole lot of grains of salt, personally you should have just ignored it and not wasted any time on it.

New York Post = A Whole Lot of Lies!!!

4. BigBeachBall - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM

You had to be there…

• 00maltliquor - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:21 PM

LOL!

5. gasan2013pananaw - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM

AHHH! AMERICAN JOURNALISM. JUST TO EARN MONEY,THEY WOULD RESORT TO EVERYTHING. INCLUDING THIS ONE. PATHETIC. PATHETIC…

6. muhangis - Feb 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Not saying that I’m fixed that the Lakers should trade Dwight, as a Lakers fan you hold out hope, but there’s a real possibility that this will not work out, and it’s all cause of Dwight. His immaturity, selfishness, weak will to win, and often stupidity is a danger to this entire great franchise. I do not consider D.H. as the next great Laker center behind the footsteps of Wilt, Jabbar, Shaq, and (yes) Bynum. I even consider Vlade Divac as higher on the Laker Great C’s list than him. Realize now
    that he was over-rated as a center for his entire NBA career. Just know that Kobe and Nash deserve much better.

7. jaypace - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I have said for years any team with Dwight Howard for its center will never win a chip. He’s soft and not a leader everything is a joke. Now he’s playing with a dude who is also a bitch but is a killer in Kobe and Dwight is showing his true colors.

8. sportsnut101 - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM

He likes to have fun it seems won’t get his act together at all. It’s one thing to joke around when ur 20 games over .500. But when u have losing record n u have played like crap might be time to take things serious

I can’t wait to laugh when he resigns in Orlando n laughs at lakers

Why is bk after this clown still gees. If I was lakers I would take Lopez humphries brooks n pick n move on so fast.
    Kris only has 1 yr left on deal after this season. Brooks can ball n he’s cheap Lopez can score n defend So they will still have cap room after the 2014 season like they plan.

9. fanz928 - Feb 20, 2013 at 3:43 AM

When Kobe Nash and Howard age adds up over 100 I don’t think d antonie should be running his fast pace offense on this ancient team. just a thought

10. 1historian - Feb 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

slow news day in the nba

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches