Latest buzz: Monta Ellis for Josh Smith? I’m not so sure.

Feb 19, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT

Josh Smith of the Atlanta  Hawks walks off the court against the Chicago Bulls during the second half of Game 2 of their NBA Eastern Conference second round playoff basketball game in Chicago Reuters

For a trade to come to fruition, both teams have to feel like they are winning, that they are improving. Sometimes as fans we can look at a trade from our team’s perspective and think, “this is a great deal” while the other side would say “are you kidding?”

With that we bring you the latest in the Josh Smith trade rumor mill, via ESPN’s Marc Stein.

On the surface, this deal makes some “you take my problem, I’ll take yours” sense.

And if you are the Hawks this deal makes more sense — Monta Ellis and Jeff Teague make a potentially dangerous if inefficient backcourt. But is that really enough for Smith? It’s a big step back and they have to pay big to keep Ellis this summer when he becomes a free agent.

On the other side, while the Bucks would get the better player, you think Josh Smith is staying there this summer? You think the Bucks are going to sign up for offering max or near-max deals to Smith and Brandon Jennings this summer?

But that’s the talk out there today. There is a lot of talk.

1. sdemp - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I smell 3-team deal. . . if Atlanta has interest in Monte Ellis I don’t see why this can’t work, but no way in hell Josh Smith stays in Milwaukee so a third team is required to make the deal work. Milwaukee has plenty of pieces to work with.

Milwaukee NEEDS to trade Ellis and Jennings, that’s bout all I know.

• pack93z - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Needs does not include trading both of them… I will agree that Ellis probably should be moved, but it is going to have to be for something in return that makes sense. Sure we would lose Ellis this summer with nothing coming back in return, but we also clear a ton in contracts come this summer. I am all for trading him for something in return, young talent to balance the roster.

Now.. Smith for Ellis.. that will just create more of an roster imbalance for the Bucks. We have a glut of front court players at the moment.. why add another? What the Bucks need in my opinion.. a true shooting guard that and spot up and shoot. Other than Dunleavy, we lack a consistent shooter..

If we are going to move Ellis.. or anyone for the matter, it better be some backcourt help that can shoot the rock. Not another front court player to jam it up even more.

2. LPad - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Why would the Hawks want a Teague, Ellis, and Lou Williams backcourt? Everyone is 6-1 or smaller.

• progress2011 - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Well Pad,

Probably because no one knows WHEN Williams will be able to come back. Or how he will be able to perform, when he does come back.

…..Did you see how his knee buckled, just planting and jumping, with no contact, that was KRAZY!

Plus Monta Ellis can be a featured guard on ANY team, right now.

Teague has nice potential but his full potential is still several years off and the Hawks need productivity NOW !

After unloading that RIDICULOUS Joe Johnson contract (that paid him more than LBJ, Wade and others) ….they have money.

Now they need to start putting pieces in place. Ellis would be a nice start.

• money2long - Feb 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM

short backcourts seem to be the wave nowadays. just look at
      boston, detroit, clippers, the knicks sometimes, the bucks now, the hawks now

• LPad - Feb 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I really don’t think the clippers and knicks are running out small backcourts given that Crawford is 6-5 and Kidd is a legit 6-4 and Shump is 6-5. Even the Pistons weren’t running a small backcourt most of the time until they got Calderon whose just there until the end of the season with Knight at 6-3 and Stuckey at 6-5.The Celtics backcourt of Rondo and Bradley is small about 6-1 and 6-2 respectively but Bradley is a great defensive guard.

The Hawks backcourt would be 6-2 and 6-1, I just think that is too small.

3. bougin89 - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:45 PM

If I thought the Bucks had a legit chance to keep Smith I’d say go for it. This could be like exchanging rentals, if that’s the case I’d take my chances with Smith and see how he looks with Jennings. If they get all buddy/buddy maybe they would commit to staying. I guess I’m allowed to dream of a perfect scenario…

• thatstinks - Feb 19, 2013 at 4:49 PM

No way the Hawks make that trade straight up . It makes no sense . Monta Ellis is a lesser player who can also be a UF after the season .

• bougin89 - Feb 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Who said they would only get Ellis? Also, the Hawks don’t want to resign Smith because he will cost too much. Ellis can be resigned for cheaper. The value in this trade would be the probably draft pick or two they would get along with a chance to keep a good player, even if that player isn’t as good as Josh smith.

4. djohnson11882 - Feb 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I remember me and every other person at the Bradley Center booing him every time he got near the ball a couple years ago because he was bashing Milwaukee in the media. Please John Hammond, DO NOT make this trade for someone who has the potential to become another malcontent like S-Jax!!!!!!

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches