Feb 19, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
For a trade to come to fruition, both teams have to feel like they are winning, that they are improving. Sometimes as fans we can look at a trade from our team’s perspective and think, “this is a great deal” while the other side would say “are you kidding?”
With that we bring you the latest in the Josh Smith trade rumor mill, via ESPN’s Marc Stein.
On Bucks/Josh Smith talk: Hawks' interest believed to start w/Monta Ellis, since Monta could play next to Jeff Teague, whom Hawks still like—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 19, 2013
On the surface, this deal makes some “you take my problem, I’ll take yours” sense.
And if you are the Hawks this deal makes more sense — Monta Ellis and Jeff Teague make a potentially dangerous if inefficient backcourt. But is that really enough for Smith? It’s a big step back and they have to pay big to keep Ellis this summer when he becomes a free agent.
On the other side, while the Bucks would get the better player, you think Josh Smith is staying there this summer? You think the Bucks are going to sign up for offering max or near-max deals to Smith and Brandon Jennings this summer?
But that’s the talk out there today. There is a lot of talk.
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 24
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 8
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 12
- Harden’s 17 fourth-quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 10
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 52