Feb 19, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
Among the many smart moves Jerry Buss made as owner of the Lakers was to make Jerry West his right hand basketball guy for so many years, through much of the “Showtime” era. While a lot of superstars struggle to make the transition to an after-basketball role — playing is instinctual, the front office is about observation, analyzation and negotiation — West was brilliant at both.
Here West talks about his time with Dr. Buss, who passed away at the age of 80 on Monday, and the impression he left on West, the Lakers and Los Angeles.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 8
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 17
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34