Feb 19, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
Among the many smart moves Jerry Buss made as owner of the Lakers was to make Jerry West his right hand basketball guy for so many years, through much of the “Showtime” era. While a lot of superstars struggle to make the transition to an after-basketball role — playing is instinctual, the front office is about observation, analyzation and negotiation — West was brilliant at both.
Here West talks about his time with Dr. Buss, who passed away at the age of 80 on Monday, and the impression he left on West, the Lakers and Los Angeles.
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15