Feb 19, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
Among the many smart moves Jerry Buss made as owner of the Lakers was to make Jerry West his right hand basketball guy for so many years, through much of the “Showtime” era. While a lot of superstars struggle to make the transition to an after-basketball role — playing is instinctual, the front office is about observation, analyzation and negotiation — West was brilliant at both.
Here West talks about his time with Dr. Buss, who passed away at the age of 80 on Monday, and the impression he left on West, the Lakers and Los Angeles.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48