Feb 19, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
Among the many smart moves Jerry Buss made as owner of the Lakers was to make Jerry West his right hand basketball guy for so many years, through much of the “Showtime” era. While a lot of superstars struggle to make the transition to an after-basketball role — playing is instinctual, the front office is about observation, analyzation and negotiation — West was brilliant at both.
Here West talks about his time with Dr. Buss, who passed away at the age of 80 on Monday, and the impression he left on West, the Lakers and Los Angeles.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 25
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10