Jeremy Lin says he’s “thankful” he wasn’t voted as All-Star starter

Feb 19, 2013, 2:08 AM EDT

Taco Bell Skills Challenge Getty Images

It came down to about 45,000 votes.

That’s how much separated eventual NBA All-Star Game MVP Chris Paul from being replaced as a starter by Jeremy Lin (who finished with 883,809 votes, more than 400,000 than teammate James Harden).

Now that the All-Star weekend circus has moved on from Houston, Lin can be honest — he didn’t think he was ready to be voted in. That’s what he told Dave Zangaro of CSNHouston.com.

“I’m kind of thankful I didn’t get voted because when … I want to make sure I’m fully, fully deserving of it, when I play,” Lin said after the team’s evening practice on Monday. “And I didn’t feel like that was the case this year.”

He’s right. Lin is growing as a player but he is not an All-Star. That’s not his motivation anyway.

“I’m not really any more motivated to make it to the All-Star Game to be honest,” he answered. “I’m happy for James (Harden, the Rockets representative9 but for a player, I don’t think that’s anybody’s motivation.”

Lin continues to have a sensible attitude about his game and his popularity. While it has taken time for him to adjust to a new team and getting used to playing with Harden, there are signs we are seeing signs of it working out (on the offensive side, anyway). And maybe there will be a time he deserves a spot on the team.

But not yet. We’re all thankful.

1. eventhorizon04 - Feb 19, 2013 at 3:00 AM

Lin has been very self-aware on this matter.

He didn’t campaign for All-Star votes using social media like Twitter, even with a starting spot within striking distance, because he understands he’s not “there” yet.

Still – He’s only started 80 career games (less than a full 82-game season’s worth), and he’s averaged roughly 13 ppg, 6 APG, 3 RPG, at 44% FG this season. He also has definitely gotten better after a slow start, so I’d expect his stats next year to be significantly better.

If he continues to improve, he’ll be a legitimate candidate for an All-Star spot soon enough.

• zerole00 - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Yeah I didn’t buy into the whole Linsanity hype (even as an Asian myself), but I do respect his character from what we’ve seen so far. I hope he does improve.

2. captainwisdom8888 - Feb 19, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Were all a bit too sensitive if we cant laugh at that haha. Didnt you see my ***disclaimer at the bottom?

• Kurt Helin - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:16 AM

That comment has been removed because it was racist and immature. At best. Disclaimers don’t count.

• psung26 - Feb 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Thanks for the mop up job Kurt. Only wish my comment wasn’t erased with his inappropriate remarks.

What’s most ironic about this is his user name is “captainwisdom”

• zerole00 - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Or, you should try getting an actual sense of humor.

• zerole00 - Feb 19, 2013 at 12:15 PM

This was in response to captainwisdom8888 by the way. Reply option didn’t work for some reason.

3. musilly - Feb 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM

[Insert racist comment]
    ***[Insert self-defeating disclaimer]

Grow up. Have a little respect for others–and yourself I might add.

4. nokoolaidcowboy - Feb 19, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Yeah, make a racist joke behind a keyboard and make a disclaimer. You must feel real cool. We can only imagine what a real winner you are in real life.

5. akmgiants - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

wow you should start a stand up career. what insight and creativity you possess!

6. majorhavoc83 - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Now *this* is why I’m a Jeremy Lin fan (and still bummed he’s not here in NY under the tutelage of Jason Kidd). Honestly, Jeremy is just a kid, at age 24, but he’s very self-aware of who he is as a person and a player. I think that’s very cool and mature. As long as he keeps focusing on his game and playing hard on the court (with intensity), he’ll become a solid and very dependable PG. Not sure if he can ever duplicate his brief run with the Knicks, but I sure hope he does.

7. thecitizensnips - Feb 19, 2013 at 10:18 AM

what a turd sandwich.

8. mj1818 - Feb 19, 2013 at 11:41 AM

“I’m thankful I’m not good enough to be an all-star” pfffft

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures