Feb 19, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The Indiana Pacers are one of a couple teams that could be a threat to the Heat in the East, but they need more offense and depth to do it. Which is why the return of last year’s leading scorer Danny Granger could be huge.
The Pacers have the best defense in the NBA this season (96.2 points per possession) but the 24th best offense (100 points scored per 100). In theory you can plug Granger into the offense and it improves, move Lance Stephenson to the bench and it improves, and the Pacers are suddenly a lot better.
But things are almost never that smooth. The Pacers starting five with Stephenson in there is one of the NBA’s strongest lineups and, as Zach Lowe notes at Grantland, the lineups with Stephenson off the bench have not been as strong.
Frank Vogel has been an impressive young coach in the NBA, but this is what separates the Xs and Os coaches who are good from the special ones — changing players’ roles and getting them to fully buy into what you need them to do. Vogel has been good, but this will be his biggest test as an NBA head coach.
- Report: Paul Pierce to sign two-year deal to join Wizards 4
- Report: Trevor Ariza to sign 4-year, $32 million deal with Rockets 35
- Pau Gasol tweets he has chosen to play for Bulls. Only question is will it be sign-and-trade or not. 50
- LeBron James’ contract two years, $42 million with Cavaliers. That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. 37
- LeBron returns to Cleveland a more efficient, mature player that can take team further 36
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 19
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 58
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 40