Feb 19, 2013, 4:50 PM EDT
The Indiana Pacers are one of a couple teams that could be a threat to the Heat in the East, but they need more offense and depth to do it. Which is why the return of last year’s leading scorer Danny Granger could be huge.
The Pacers have the best defense in the NBA this season (96.2 points per possession) but the 24th best offense (100 points scored per 100). In theory you can plug Granger into the offense and it improves, move Lance Stephenson to the bench and it improves, and the Pacers are suddenly a lot better.
But things are almost never that smooth. The Pacers starting five with Stephenson in there is one of the NBA’s strongest lineups and, as Zach Lowe notes at Grantland, the lineups with Stephenson off the bench have not been as strong.
Frank Vogel has been an impressive young coach in the NBA, but this is what separates the Xs and Os coaches who are good from the special ones — changing players’ roles and getting them to fully buy into what you need them to do. Vogel has been good, but this will be his biggest test as an NBA head coach.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record