Feb 18, 2013, 9:39 AM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks could look like a very different team next season.
We’ve already told you how Brandon Jennings — frustrated he wasn’t picked to be in Houston this weekend for the All-Star Game — is a restricted free agent next summer and has a new agent known for getting his clients to big cities. Jennings denies that’s the plan, of course. The Bucks can match any offer other teams make for Jennings so he doesn’t want to burn that bridge.
Now comes a note from the Boston Globe that Monta Ellis may become a free agent as well, reports the Boston Globe.
Also, guard Monta Ellis has an $11 million player option that he is expected to reject to become a free agent this summer. Ellis, like Josh Smith, has been productive throughout his career but elicits different opinions about whether he can contribute to a championship-caliber team.
Golden State felt it had to choose between Ellis and Stephen Curry, and it went with Curry. Milwaukee may ultimately see it’s backcourt the same way.
Ellis is averaging 18.4 points a game but is shooting just 40.1 percent on the season,
If Ellis opts out — and while he might well make less money next season he could get the security of a multi-year deal worth more in total — it seems it would be more likely the Bucks would match any offer for Jennings. The team has already made it clear they are not moving Jennings before the trade deadline Thursday.
We’ll see how it all shakes out. But with coach Scott Skiles out as coach and likely player shakeups, it’s going to be an interesting time in Milwaukee this summer.
- Hobbled Chris Paul, Clippers’ role players do just enough to dethrone Spurs in Game 7 8
- Chris Paul banks in game winner to lift Clippers past Spurs (VIDEO) 24
- PBT Extra: Can Clippers build on Game 6 win? 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Derrick Rose got it done on both ends in first round 2
- Hawks eliminate Nets from playoffs with blowout victory in Game 6 9
- PBT Extra: Clash of styles favors Warriors over Grizzlies 4
- PBT Second-Round Playoff Previews: Golden State Warriors vs. Memphis Grizzlies 3
- PBT Extra: Bulls have shot to upset Cavaliers 16