Feb 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EST
If one big name is going to move at the NBA trade deadline Thursday it is Josh Smith. The question is where — the Buck, Rockets, Spurs, Nets and… really it might be faster to list the teams that have not had contact with the Hawks about Smith.
Now comes the report that the Celtics are interested. Maybe.
That buzz was out there for a while at a lower level and Monday afternoon ESPN’s Marc Stein picked it up.
Early versions of the rumor suggested the Celtics wanted to send Brandon Bass and Jeff Green to the Hawks for Smith, to which I would reply, “Danny Ferry is not Ted Stepien.” No way Ferry (the Hawks GM) would do that deal.
Frankly, if he’s rebuilding the only reason to do it for Pierce is to turn around and flip Pierce for other, younger parts this summer.
I’m with Stein here, I just can’t see Ainge doing it. He talks about everything (and sometimes Boston seems awfully leaky with the rumors) but is he really going to pull the trigger here?
On Friday, I bet Pierce and Kevin Garnett are still in Celtics green.
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 1
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 5
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 11
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 18
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 12
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30