Feb 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EST
If one big name is going to move at the NBA trade deadline Thursday it is Josh Smith. The question is where — the Buck, Rockets, Spurs, Nets and… really it might be faster to list the teams that have not had contact with the Hawks about Smith.
Now comes the report that the Celtics are interested. Maybe.
That buzz was out there for a while at a lower level and Monday afternoon ESPN’s Marc Stein picked it up.
Early versions of the rumor suggested the Celtics wanted to send Brandon Bass and Jeff Green to the Hawks for Smith, to which I would reply, “Danny Ferry is not Ted Stepien.” No way Ferry (the Hawks GM) would do that deal.
Frankly, if he’s rebuilding the only reason to do it for Pierce is to turn around and flip Pierce for other, younger parts this summer.
I’m with Stein here, I just can’t see Ainge doing it. He talks about everything (and sometimes Boston seems awfully leaky with the rumors) but is he really going to pull the trigger here?
On Friday, I bet Pierce and Kevin Garnett are still in Celtics green.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 12
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 29
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10