Feb 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
If one big name is going to move at the NBA trade deadline Thursday it is Josh Smith. The question is where — the Buck, Rockets, Spurs, Nets and… really it might be faster to list the teams that have not had contact with the Hawks about Smith.
Now comes the report that the Celtics are interested. Maybe.
That buzz was out there for a while at a lower level and Monday afternoon ESPN’s Marc Stein picked it up.
Early versions of the rumor suggested the Celtics wanted to send Brandon Bass and Jeff Green to the Hawks for Smith, to which I would reply, “Danny Ferry is not Ted Stepien.” No way Ferry (the Hawks GM) would do that deal.
Frankly, if he’s rebuilding the only reason to do it for Pierce is to turn around and flip Pierce for other, younger parts this summer.
I’m with Stein here, I just can’t see Ainge doing it. He talks about everything (and sometimes Boston seems awfully leaky with the rumors) but is he really going to pull the trigger here?
On Friday, I bet Pierce and Kevin Garnett are still in Celtics green.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9