Feb 18, 2013, 11:21 PM EDT
If one big name is going to move at the NBA trade deadline Thursday it is Josh Smith. The question is where — the Buck, Rockets, Spurs, Nets and… really it might be faster to list the teams that have not had contact with the Hawks about Smith.
Now comes the report that the Celtics are interested. Maybe.
That buzz was out there for a while at a lower level and Monday afternoon ESPN’s Marc Stein picked it up.
Early versions of the rumor suggested the Celtics wanted to send Brandon Bass and Jeff Green to the Hawks for Smith, to which I would reply, “Danny Ferry is not Ted Stepien.” No way Ferry (the Hawks GM) would do that deal.
Frankly, if he’s rebuilding the only reason to do it for Pierce is to turn around and flip Pierce for other, younger parts this summer.
I’m with Stein here, I just can’t see Ainge doing it. He talks about everything (and sometimes Boston seems awfully leaky with the rumors) but is he really going to pull the trigger here?
On Friday, I bet Pierce and Kevin Garnett are still in Celtics green.
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 7
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 7
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 19
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 64