Feb 18, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
The Toronto Raptors are shopping Andrea Bargnani around right now. Hard. Like they did last summer. They’d pretty much take a pump to inflate basketballs in return, so long as it doesn’t have a worse contract (hello Carlos Boozer). But the results are pretty much the same — everyone has seen Bargnani play, they know he can shoot threes (usually) but not much else, and nobody really wants to take on the two years and $22.2 million he is owed after this season.
Which means while the Raptors will keep trying heading into Thursday’s NBA trade deadline to find a new home for Bargnani but that likely will wait until next summer, reports Doug Smith at the Toronto Sun.
The big one, of course, is Bargnani and one note I got this weekend simply said: “Looks like the summer.”
Sorry Raptors fans.
This may be a quieter than normal trade deadline because teams are leery to take on salary with the increased luxury tax penalties kicking in next summer. And with all the money Bargnani is owed — and the limited production teams would get for that — nobody is all that interested.
I think this summer we will see bigger moves — Bargnani, maybe Pau Gasol, there will be other bigger names — but right now it feels like none of that will get done in the short term. Which means Bargnani will stay put. For now.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 2
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 19
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'