Feb 18, 2013, 2:35 PM EST
The Philadelphia 76ers have struggled with injuries and they’ve struggled finding a useful backup point guard this season.
Maalik Wayns had his shot…and shot 26 percent from the field with a PER of 2.
Royal Ivey hasn’t been a whole lot better with a PER of 8.9.
Although he wasn’t great on his 10-day contract period, the Sixers may have found a suitable stopgap at backup point guard. According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports, the Sixers will sign Jeremy Pargo for the remainder of the season:
The Philadelphia 76ers will sign guard Jeremy Pargo for the rest of the season, league source tells Y! Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 18, 2013
In three games with the Sixers this season, Pargo has averaged 8 points on 37.5 percent shooting in 23 minutes of play. The 26-year-old guard has made stops in Memphis and Cleveland prior to this and has scored decently (13.2 points per36 minutes), but his career shooting percentage of 37 percent is pretty brutal.
Pargo is a well-built athlete who can score at the rim reasonably well, but his jumper has always been dodgy at best. His reliance on it only makes things worse, and as a result, Pargo has struggled to make the transition from solid college player at Gonzaga to useful pro player. Unlike his brother Jannero, who had some successful years in New Orleans and Chicago, Jeremy needs to put the jumper on the backburner and focus more on getting to the tin and using his strong body to finish in traffic.
We’ll see if Pargo can do that in the second half with Philadelphia, who will need to get pretty hot to have a shot at the playoffs.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)