Feb 18, 2013, 11:14 AM EDT
Lakers owner Jerry Buss has passed away at age 80 after a battle with cancer, NBC News has confirmed. It is a story first broken by Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times.
Lakers spokesman Bob Steiner confirmed Jerry Buss was 80. His date of birth was Jan. 27, 1933.
It was just a few days ago that news broke of the severity of Buss’ condition.
Buss had been hospitalized for some time with an undisclosed form of cancer, but the news was kept private until recently, when players were reported to be visiting him because it was expected that he was in his final days.
Buss is widely recognized as the most successful franchise owner in NBA history, having purchased the Lakers (along with the Forum and the Kings of the NHL) for $67.5 million back in 1979. Buss later sold the Kings in 1988.
Forbes magazine recently valued the Lakers at more than $1 billion.
The Lakers won 10 NBA championships under Buss’ ownership, and his family remains in control of both the basketball and the business side of the team to this day.
Jim Buss is executive vice president of player personnel, and Jeannie Buss is the team’s executive vice president of business operations. The team will remain majority owned by the Buss family through a complex trust where each of Buss’ six children have a stake.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights