Feb 18, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
It’s hard to care too much about what happens on the actual court for the Sacramento Kings right now. With the ownership and relocation drama looming over the team at all times, there are bigger fights to be had than regular season games. It’s a difficult situation for everyone — members of the organization, players, fans — everyone.
In a normal year, with a locked in arena deal and a decent ownership group, the Sacramento Kings might be active at the deadline. There are pieces that contending teams might want, and young players like Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins that could be dangled.
But it’s really kind of impossible for the Kings to do much of anything right now, given that the future is so uncertain. No one knows if they’ll have a job soon, let alone where they’ll live.
That’s why when you see hear Kings GM Geoff Petrie say something like this, it’s easy to believe:
“It’s very unlikely we’d move any of our top players at this point,” basketball president Geoff Petrie said.
The Kings are basically a franchise on lockdown right now. Even if Geoff Petrie got a trade offer he liked, who would he run it by? Would he be allowed to make the deal? The organization is just a mess right now.
It’s been a very quiet trading period, but don’t count on the Kings to be the ones making any noise.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 4
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 5
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 21
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 9
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)