Feb 18, 2013, 5:22 PM EST
It’s hard to care too much about what happens on the actual court for the Sacramento Kings right now. With the ownership and relocation drama looming over the team at all times, there are bigger fights to be had than regular season games. It’s a difficult situation for everyone — members of the organization, players, fans — everyone.
In a normal year, with a locked in arena deal and a decent ownership group, the Sacramento Kings might be active at the deadline. There are pieces that contending teams might want, and young players like Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins that could be dangled.
But it’s really kind of impossible for the Kings to do much of anything right now, given that the future is so uncertain. No one knows if they’ll have a job soon, let alone where they’ll live.
That’s why when you see hear Kings GM Geoff Petrie say something like this, it’s easy to believe:
“It’s very unlikely we’d move any of our top players at this point,” basketball president Geoff Petrie said.
The Kings are basically a franchise on lockdown right now. Even if Geoff Petrie got a trade offer he liked, who would he run it by? Would he be allowed to make the deal? The organization is just a mess right now.
It’s been a very quiet trading period, but don’t count on the Kings to be the ones making any noise.
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 2
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)