Feb 17, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
At one point during the 3-point contest I thought to myself, “You know what? I could probably do that. I’ve hit five in a row before. Yeah, I could totally do that.”
Then Kyrie Irving had his turn, and I felt pretty stupid for thinking those thoughts. Irving put on one of the most impressive displays in 3-point contest history in the final round, knocking in 17 of his first 18 shots, prompting Reggie Miller to start calling him “Chico” and proclaim the world as his.
The world might not be Irving’s (yet), but the weekend has been. Irving stole the show with the two most memorable moments from the weekend despite not being in the dunk contest. Irving’s crossover of Brandon Knight probably brought the biggest rise out of the Houston crowd of the weekend, and this sweet shooting display was unreal to watch unfold.
Here’s video of Irving’s winning round from Saturday night’s contest:
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85