Feb 17, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
This weekend, Houston is the center of the NBA universe.
It’s also the home of the Rockets who are having a nice season so far. They made a great trade to acquire James Harden before the season and at 3 games over the .500 mark are firmly in the western conference playoff hunt. Things are looking up.
With that success, Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle is reporting that Rockets owner Leslie Alexander isn’t about to let GM Daryl Morey get away after his contract expires next year:
Though he typically has not worked on one contract until the previous deal is complete, Alexander said he intends to re-sign Morey.
“His contract is up next year, I believe,” Alexander said on Saturday. “We’ll re-up him. Daryl knows that I judge him all the time. I’ve told him. He’s not shy about it, either. He just knows that’s the way I operate. Why wouldn’t I? The general manager is the one person in your organization you can really judge. He can make good moves or bad moves. This year, I think he’s made three terrific moves.”
Those three moves — trading for Harden and signing both Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik as free agents — have indeed been fantastic for the Rockets. Those three, along with second year pro Chandler Parsons, form the foundation of what looks to be a playoff team for many years to come.
Beyond those players, Morey also has several other young pieces on the roster and in their pipeline that could either develop into contributors for Houston or be used in trades down the line to acquire another difference maker.
After years of struggling to find a superstar to build around, Morey got one without gutting his roster and has set this team up to win now and in future. No wonder he’ll get his contract extended. He’s earned it.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38