Feb 17, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
This weekend, Houston is the center of the NBA universe.
It’s also the home of the Rockets who are having a nice season so far. They made a great trade to acquire James Harden before the season and at 3 games over the .500 mark are firmly in the western conference playoff hunt. Things are looking up.
With that success, Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle is reporting that Rockets owner Leslie Alexander isn’t about to let GM Daryl Morey get away after his contract expires next year:
Though he typically has not worked on one contract until the previous deal is complete, Alexander said he intends to re-sign Morey.
“His contract is up next year, I believe,” Alexander said on Saturday. “We’ll re-up him. Daryl knows that I judge him all the time. I’ve told him. He’s not shy about it, either. He just knows that’s the way I operate. Why wouldn’t I? The general manager is the one person in your organization you can really judge. He can make good moves or bad moves. This year, I think he’s made three terrific moves.”
Those three moves — trading for Harden and signing both Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik as free agents — have indeed been fantastic for the Rockets. Those three, along with second year pro Chandler Parsons, form the foundation of what looks to be a playoff team for many years to come.
Beyond those players, Morey also has several other young pieces on the roster and in their pipeline that could either develop into contributors for Houston or be used in trades down the line to acquire another difference maker.
After years of struggling to find a superstar to build around, Morey got one without gutting his roster and has set this team up to win now and in future. No wonder he’ll get his contract extended. He’s earned it.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49