Feb 16, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Chris Bosh has shooting range. Swin Cash can flat out shoot the rock. And Dominique Wilkins is Dominique Wilkins.
“My elbow is sore now, I haven’t shot like that in a few years,” Wilkins says.
Nonetheless, Team Bosh won the Sears Shooting Stars competition that kicks off All-Star Saturday night.
Shooting Stars is the event where teams of three — this year there was Team Bosh, Team Westbrook, Team Lopez and Team Harden — have to hit a five-footer, an elbow jumper, a baseline three, a three of the arc and then a half court shot (and the next person can’t start shooting until the last person knocks down their shot, then they all take turns at half courters).
You know, the one where you’re getting chips and salsa, plus maybe a beer, and don’t really pay much attention. Still the players take it a little bit seriously.
“I missed a couple of the first ones,” Cash said. “So then you get mad and you try to rush it a little bit. But then Nique came through with the half court shot.”
Okay, Bosh wasn’t that serious. He was asked to compare it to winning his NBA title last June.
“It was so close. It’s so close,” Bosh joked. “Winning is winning, but you know, it was a good time.
The times got progressively worse as the night went on — Team Westbrook finished in under 30 seconds in their first go but in the finals took more than 1:30 to get it done — hitting half courters involves a lot of luck. Westbrook’s team (Maya Moore and Robert Horry) missed a lot of threes to give Bosh the win. Missed shots, always captivating viewing.
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 3
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 20
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 6
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 7
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 23
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 62
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 4