Feb 16, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Chris Bosh has shooting range. Swin Cash can flat out shoot the rock. And Dominique Wilkins is Dominique Wilkins.
“My elbow is sore now, I haven’t shot like that in a few years,” Wilkins says.
Nonetheless, Team Bosh won the Sears Shooting Stars competition that kicks off All-Star Saturday night.
Shooting Stars is the event where teams of three — this year there was Team Bosh, Team Westbrook, Team Lopez and Team Harden — have to hit a five-footer, an elbow jumper, a baseline three, a three of the arc and then a half court shot (and the next person can’t start shooting until the last person knocks down their shot, then they all take turns at half courters).
You know, the one where you’re getting chips and salsa, plus maybe a beer, and don’t really pay much attention. Still the players take it a little bit seriously.
“I missed a couple of the first ones,” Cash said. “So then you get mad and you try to rush it a little bit. But then Nique came through with the half court shot.”
Okay, Bosh wasn’t that serious. He was asked to compare it to winning his NBA title last June.
“It was so close. It’s so close,” Bosh joked. “Winning is winning, but you know, it was a good time.
The times got progressively worse as the night went on — Team Westbrook finished in under 30 seconds in their first go but in the finals took more than 1:30 to get it done — hitting half courters involves a lot of luck. Westbrook’s team (Maya Moore and Robert Horry) missed a lot of threes to give Bosh the win. Missed shots, always captivating viewing.
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 8
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 5
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7