Feb 16, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Chris Bosh has shooting range. Swin Cash can flat out shoot the rock. And Dominique Wilkins is Dominique Wilkins.
“My elbow is sore now, I haven’t shot like that in a few years,” Wilkins says.
Nonetheless, Team Bosh won the Sears Shooting Stars competition that kicks off All-Star Saturday night.
Shooting Stars is the event where teams of three — this year there was Team Bosh, Team Westbrook, Team Lopez and Team Harden — have to hit a five-footer, an elbow jumper, a baseline three, a three of the arc and then a half court shot (and the next person can’t start shooting until the last person knocks down their shot, then they all take turns at half courters).
You know, the one where you’re getting chips and salsa, plus maybe a beer, and don’t really pay much attention. Still the players take it a little bit seriously.
“I missed a couple of the first ones,” Cash said. “So then you get mad and you try to rush it a little bit. But then Nique came through with the half court shot.”
Okay, Bosh wasn’t that serious. He was asked to compare it to winning his NBA title last June.
“It was so close. It’s so close,” Bosh joked. “Winning is winning, but you know, it was a good time.
The times got progressively worse as the night went on — Team Westbrook finished in under 30 seconds in their first go but in the finals took more than 1:30 to get it done — hitting half courters involves a lot of luck. Westbrook’s team (Maya Moore and Robert Horry) missed a lot of threes to give Bosh the win. Missed shots, always captivating viewing.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 22
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 11
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 43
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (82)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay