Feb 16, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
HOUSTON — NBA players union president Billy Hunter was unanimously voted out of that position by representatives from 24 of the 30 teams in Houston on Saturday. He did some questionable things that came to light during an internal audit, and that was more than enough in the players’ eyes to get him removed from his very lucrative position.
Hunter was not present for the proceedings, but issued a statement through his website.
It reads as follows, in its entirety:
“I have yet to receive any notification, other than published news reports, that the NBPA has terminated my employment. If accurate, it is indicative of the extremely troubling process followed by the NBPA during the past few weeks. During the days and weeks ahead, my legal team and I will begin carefully reviewing the actions taken and statements made against me in the meeting room in my absence. I look forward to gathering the evidence showing how certain individuals made sure the outcome was pre-ordained.
This is not about Hunter retaining his position as union leader, it’s about getting every penny of the millions he’s owed under his current contract.
Expect to hear plenty about this in the future, though none of it will impact the league in any way whatsoever — at least until the new president is installed, and it’s time to once again negotiate terms of a new collective bargaining agreement in the likely event that either the league or the players opt out of the current agreement in 2017.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43