Feb 16, 2013, 9:28 PM EDT
HOUSTON — NBA players union president Billy Hunter was unanimously voted out of that position by representatives from 24 of the 30 teams in Houston on Saturday. He did some questionable things that came to light during an internal audit, and that was more than enough in the players’ eyes to get him removed from his very lucrative position.
Hunter was not present for the proceedings, but issued a statement through his website.
It reads as follows, in its entirety:
“I have yet to receive any notification, other than published news reports, that the NBPA has terminated my employment. If accurate, it is indicative of the extremely troubling process followed by the NBPA during the past few weeks. During the days and weeks ahead, my legal team and I will begin carefully reviewing the actions taken and statements made against me in the meeting room in my absence. I look forward to gathering the evidence showing how certain individuals made sure the outcome was pre-ordained.
This is not about Hunter retaining his position as union leader, it’s about getting every penny of the millions he’s owed under his current contract.
Expect to hear plenty about this in the future, though none of it will impact the league in any way whatsoever — at least until the new president is installed, and it’s time to once again negotiate terms of a new collective bargaining agreement in the likely event that either the league or the players opt out of the current agreement in 2017.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32