Feb 15, 2013, 6:27 PM EDT
When Rudy Gay was traded from Memphis to the Toronto Raptors, a lot of national pundits shook their head and said, “why would Memphis kill its title aspirations by trading its best player?”
Those people didn’t watch a lot of Grizzlies basketball. It’s not that Gay isn’t a good player, look how he has helped Toronto, but the fit wasn’t as good in Memphis.
“I definitely do,” Randolph said. “I think once we get our identity together and continue to play, get some more games under our belt as a unit and come together, I think we can surprise a lot of people.”
We’ll see. Here’s the thing — Memphis was the No. 4 team in the West at best, it’s not like they broke up the ’96 Bulls. Memphis had little if any shot at a title anyway, but they saved money and if Tayshaun Prince can find his way in the offense the Grizzlies can focus even more on what they do well — pound teams inside with their size.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 57
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59