Feb 15, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
If Carmelo Anthony is smart (and he is), he should sell him playing through pain in the All-Star Game in Houston Sunday as something he wanted to do to thank the fans. They voted for him, he wanted to pay them back.
I don’t think that’s the reason, but that’s how he should spin it.
Either way, it looks like he will play despite a bruised bicep suffered against the Raptors Wednesday, reports Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
Why is Anthony playing? Because if he sat out the All-Star Game injured the league would make him sit out the Knicks game Wednesday as well. The league doesn’t take kindly go guys getting suddenly injured and skipping the All-Star Game but being well enough to play in games on either side of it. It sets a bad precedent. So if you miss the All-Star Game you will miss more.
Which ultimately means Carmelo Anthony will suit up Sunday. How many minutes remains to be seen, it is possible Eric Spoelstra plays him just a few minutes if he requests it. Or he could play more like 20. But he will be there.
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 3
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 33
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 31
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25