Feb 15, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
If Carmelo Anthony is smart (and he is), he should sell him playing through pain in the All-Star Game in Houston Sunday as something he wanted to do to thank the fans. They voted for him, he wanted to pay them back.
I don’t think that’s the reason, but that’s how he should spin it.
Either way, it looks like he will play despite a bruised bicep suffered against the Raptors Wednesday, reports Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
The NBA, according to a source, has been informed that Carmelo Anthony intends to play in Sunday's All Star Game.—
Frank Isola (@FisolaNYDN) February 14, 2013
Why is Anthony playing? Because if he sat out the All-Star Game injured the league would make him sit out the Knicks game Wednesday as well. The league doesn’t take kindly go guys getting suddenly injured and skipping the All-Star Game but being well enough to play in games on either side of it. It sets a bad precedent. So if you miss the All-Star Game you will miss more.
Which ultimately means Carmelo Anthony will suit up Sunday. How many minutes remains to be seen, it is possible Eric Spoelstra plays him just a few minutes if he requests it. Or he could play more like 20. But he will be there.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7