Michael Jordan beat Kidd-Gilchrist at one-on-one last month

Feb 15, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist AP

Turns out, Michael Jordan is still pretty good at the basketball thing.

About a month ago Jordan, who turns 50 this weekend, challenged 19-year-old Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to a game of one-on-one after practice. Kidd-Gilchrist is the No. 2 pick of the Bobcats, the team Jordan owns.

If I had to bet on that game (and you know Jordan would have taken the action) I would have gone with youth. I would have lost, Kidd-Gilchrist told Dave Zangaro of CSNHouston.com.

“He did play me 1-on-1 one time,” Kidd-Gilchrist said on Friday morning before playing on Team Shaq in the Rising Stars Challenge Friday night. “And it was hard for me … I lost. I lost to a 50-year-old guy. That’s my boss, though. He’s the best player to play the game.”

This wasn’t a case of making sure the boss beat you at golf, either.

“No,” he said emphatically. “No. I didn’t allow him to beat me. Because that’s my boss? Nah.”

So MKG, could MJ still survive in the NBA at age 50?

“That wouldn’t shock me at all,” Kidd-Gilchrist said about a possible Jordan comeback. “He still has it. He does.”

If Jordan could drop 14 in an NBA game now I wouldn’t be shocked. But at 50, he’d need about a week to recover from the exertion.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Omri Casspi finalizing one-year contract with Sacramento

Jul 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Omri Casspi

The way the Kings handled this lets them keep Quincy Acy.

2. Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach?

Jul 26, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Byron Scott Byron Scott

Making sure Kobe Bryant is happy in his final two seasons in Los Angeles seems to be at the top of the list.

3. James Harden says he considered himself a role player during days with OKC

Jul 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Harden seems to backtrack a bit on comments Chandler Parsons took offense to.

4. Carmelo Anthony on his free agent decision: ‘It was pretty much always Chicago or New York’

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.

5. Report: Kevin Johnson no longer part of search for new head of players’ union, vote expected Monday

Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Kevin Johnson

The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.

6. Joakim Noah is happy for LeBron, but hopes Bulls ‘can kick his a– as many times as possible’

Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.

7. Top 10 dunks of Las Vegas Summer League (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.

8. Report: Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to three-year, $7.3 million deal

Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.

9. Report: Will Cherry drawing interest from Cavaliers, Raptors

Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.

10. Tom Thibodeau considers Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson starters

Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt

11. Dirk Nowitzki plays baseball (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Dirk Nowitzki Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki presents a big strike zone.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches