Michael Jordan beat Kidd-Gilchrist at one-on-one last month

Feb 15, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist AP

Turns out, Michael Jordan is still pretty good at the basketball thing.

About a month ago Jordan, who turns 50 this weekend, challenged 19-year-old Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to a game of one-on-one after practice. Kidd-Gilchrist is the No. 2 pick of the Bobcats, the team Jordan owns.

If I had to bet on that game (and you know Jordan would have taken the action) I would have gone with youth. I would have lost, Kidd-Gilchrist told Dave Zangaro of CSNHouston.com.

“He did play me 1-on-1 one time,” Kidd-Gilchrist said on Friday morning before playing on Team Shaq in the Rising Stars Challenge Friday night. “And it was hard for me … I lost. I lost to a 50-year-old guy. That’s my boss, though. He’s the best player to play the game.”

This wasn’t a case of making sure the boss beat you at golf, either.

“No,” he said emphatically. “No. I didn’t allow him to beat me. Because that’s my boss? Nah.”

So MKG, could MJ still survive in the NBA at age 50?

“That wouldn’t shock me at all,” Kidd-Gilchrist said about a possible Jordan comeback. “He still has it. He does.”

If Jordan could drop 14 in an NBA game now I wouldn’t be shocked. But at 50, he’d need about a week to recover from the exertion.

1. deavn - Feb 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Jordan wouldn’t be able to hang with people like Lebron, Kobe, Carmelo, and Durant. Jordan is great but he’s still old. He can’t hang.

• birdzflyinhigh - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Jordan doesn’t have to hang with those guys, he’s 50. The point is Jordan could still be a solid/above average contributor on an NBA team today and worthy of a roster spot than over 50% or more of the players in the league who are half his age.

• gbsfinest420 - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Wow what a great observation.. You must really know basketball..

• ss3walkman - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Get this man a cookie for pointing out the obvious

2. houseof666 - Feb 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Space jam

3. beagle11 - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Get him some deer antler spray and suit him up!

4. Maurice Barksdale - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

There’s nothing to be gained for MKG in beating Michael Jordan. Just let him win. If he beats Jordan, they’ll say you just beat an old man, so it doesn’t count. Let the boss win.

5. bjerkrulez - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

C’mon guys…MJ at 50 beats a 19 yr old NBA player(an nba player)…try doing that on your own when your 50 and then judge him

He may have let him win but still – He’s 50 and not many people can say that

6. daddyghi - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

a real life uncle drew!

• fventricle - Feb 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I wonder who the 1 guy was that downvoted this comment.

• daddyghi - Feb 16, 2013 at 12:11 PM

that’s exactly what i was thinking….

7. bparmalee - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM

It means that he….. once again…. drafted the wrong damn guy. When you draft someone that high you are looking for a franchise changer… not someone who couldn’t beat MJ at 50 in 1 on 1. They should have drafted Beal…. even if just to trade him for assets (rumor recently was Beal would have gotten you Rudy Gay… what could you get for MKG??). Great player…. terrible exec…. I mean Bismack Biyombo at 7 with Klay Thompson…Kawhi Leonard… either Morris…. or hell even take Brandon Knight and take Thompson instead of Kemba. You can’t take Bismack at 7…. ever. Projects with no offensive game go late late 1st round or in the 2nd.

• akmgiants - Feb 16, 2013 at 3:12 AM

no rookie’s gonna beat ,j until lbj’s oldest kid is draft eligible.

• bparmalee - Feb 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

That’s absurd. If a guy can’t beat a 50 year old…broken down man… then he shouldn’t be drafted 3rd. MKG is in shape… plays daily… MJ is overweight and doesn’t play daily. When MJ was with the Wizards….. a decade ago… plenty of people beat him on a daily basis… in case you guys don’t remember MJ front rimming dunks. MJ was great but father time is undefeated and MJ is a terrible basketball exec.

8. necr0philia - Feb 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM

No matter what kid comes along or no matter how good someone is there is a reason they get compared to MJ. He is and will always be THE MAN!! It wouldn’t surprise me at all if I read an article like this when MJ is 85 years young.

9. sportsnut101 - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Didn’t Jordan lose to gerald Henderson though I think twice. Enough of Jordan great he beat a young rookie learning to play a mans game wow I’m so shocked. Not. Jordan just wanna take away from his team sucking for yrs n this all he has left

• bparmalee - Feb 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Yeah he lost to Gerald at horse twice….. and I think there were rules about dunking that Jordan put in. These guys need to go watch some Jordan Wizards games.

10. badintent - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM

He’ll be on Vimovo for a week for the knee pain. Can we bring in AI for some one on one too ?

11. somekat - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

he’ll be able to do that turn around jumper from the baseline until he’s 80

• ss3walkman - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Jordan Fadeaway!!!

12. Mr. Wright 212 - Feb 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

lmao Kurt, we ALL know Jordan would have taken the action, and wagered on him covering the -7 (21) and probably teased it a bit for $500K ha.

13. bjerkrulez - Feb 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

AI at 50? Not sure if he can reach 40 given that attitude and the crazy vices lmao

14. furiouslytim - Feb 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I hope the Kwame Brown Center For Psychological Rehabilitation is still in business

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches