Feb 15, 2013, 5:39 PM EDT
Turns out, Michael Jordan is still pretty good at the basketball thing.
About a month ago Jordan, who turns 50 this weekend, challenged 19-year-old Michael Kidd-Gilchrist to a game of one-on-one after practice. Kidd-Gilchrist is the No. 2 pick of the Bobcats, the team Jordan owns.
If I had to bet on that game (and you know Jordan would have taken the action) I would have gone with youth. I would have lost, Kidd-Gilchrist told Dave Zangaro of CSNHouston.com.
“He did play me 1-on-1 one time,” Kidd-Gilchrist said on Friday morning before playing on Team Shaq in the Rising Stars Challenge Friday night. “And it was hard for me … I lost. I lost to a 50-year-old guy. That’s my boss, though. He’s the best player to play the game.”
This wasn’t a case of making sure the boss beat you at golf, either.
“No,” he said emphatically. “No. I didn’t allow him to beat me. Because that’s my boss? Nah.”
So MKG, could MJ still survive in the NBA at age 50?
“That wouldn’t shock me at all,” Kidd-Gilchrist said about a possible Jordan comeback. “He still has it. He does.”
If Jordan could drop 14 in an NBA game now I wouldn’t be shocked. But at 50, he’d need about a week to recover from the exertion.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 3
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 20
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 14
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4