Feb 15, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant’s way of dealing with adversity is simply to work harder. Get up more shots, work on more moves, get better. If you are not up for a challenge improve until you are.
The Lakers were not ready for the challenge of the Clippers Thursday night. For the Lakers (and their fans) it was a stark reminder of where their team is in comparison to a potential contender, and it’s not good.
Kobe was frustrated after the game, he told the media as reported by Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com. What may have frustrated him more was his teammates reaction.
“Once things got difficult, we need to step up and meet that challenge. I’m not very happy right now, and hopefully my teammates feel the same way.”
The problem is, Bryant seemed to know before those words even left his mouth that his teammates’ minds weren’t in the same head space as his, as he tries desperately to turn this season around.
“After we lose by 20 or 30 points, we definitely can’t be laughing and joking around with a team that just kicked your ass, that’s for sure,” Bryant said.
Kobe wasn’t naming names, but you get the feeling this was about Dwight Howard. For Howard, much like a younger LeBron James in Cleveland, the game had to be fun for him or he doesn’t play with the same energy or passion. And just watching Howard the last few weeks, he clearly is not having a lot of fun on the court.
So Kobe was asked about his relationship with Howard. Kobe had really bonded a lot with Andrew Bynum last All-Star Game, so McMenamin asked if Kobe thought is relationship with Howard could be strengthened this same way.
“I don’t know how much more we need to strengthen it really,” Bryant said of his relationship with Dwight Howard. “I think it’s where it should be. The communication that I have with him is about execution and about what he needs to do on the court. That’s where it’s going to stay.”
So, still think the Lakers are going to make the playoffs this season?
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 36
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 37
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17