Dwight Howard says Lakers told him he will not be traded

Feb 15, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Howard answers a question during media availability for the NBA All-Star basketball game in Houston

HOUSTON — Dwight Howard was among the more popular players in terms of media attention on Friday, and it wasn’t because of his sparkling smile or fun-loving personality.

All of the players participating in the events of All-Star weekend had group availability sessions, and between the constant struggles of the Lakers this season and Howard’s impending free agency, he was a prime choice to be targeted in order to get his thoughts on both of those topics.

While Dwight chose to continue to avoid getting into the specifics of whether or not he’ll re-sign with the Lakers, he did make it clear that he’s not worried about being dealt by the team before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

“They told me they weren’t going to trade me,” Howard said. “I’d be surprised. They told me they wouldn’t trade me. That’s what [Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak] said.”

Now that Howard has assurances from the team that they’re committed to building a winner around him, it would only have been polite to reciprocate by saying he’d stay in Los Angeles beyond this season. He’s not ready to do that, however, and tried to explain his reasoning for keeping his options open.

“The only thing that matters is the present,” Howard said. “And right now there’s no need for me to talk about what happens at the end of the season. There’s no need to go back and forth about it, I just feel like at the end of the year, I should have my opportunity to make my decision.

“I shouldn’t be pressured criticized for waiting until the end of the year,” Howard continued. “I don’t think its fair for my teammates. I don’t think it’s fair for the fans or anybody to be worried about what’s going to happen at the end of the year. Our job is to come out and play hard every night, and we have to live in the moment. Nobody can control what happens at the end of the year.”

When asked if it’s fair to be criticized for keeping quiet about whether a return to the Lakers is likely, Howard simply said he didn’t want to go through the drama that followed him to the very end of his final season in Orlando.

“I had to deal with it all last year, so I’m not going to do it again,” he said.

Howard admitted the first half of the season hasn’t exactly gone according to plan for the Lakers, but said the team is doing a good job of tuning out the distractions as they continue to try to make things work from a basketball standpoint.

“I didn’t expect for it to go as sour as it’s going,” Howard said of his time thus far in Los Angeles. “There’s always room for improvement. We’ve had to battle a lot of things this year — guys getting injured, us not winning, and just all the drama that’s outside of the locker room.

“We’ve had to deal with a lot. But I think for the most part, as a team, we’ve done a good job of staying strong and staying together. It’ll get better.”

And if it doesn’t, Howard has the option to move on. When asked what would ultimately make him choose between the Lakers and another team this offseason, he summed it up rather succinctly.

“I’m going to do what makes me happy,” Howard said. “That’s it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Matt Bonner blames down shooting season on iPhone 6

Jul 7, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v San Antonio Spurs - Game Four Getty Images

Bonner claims a Spurs strength-and-conditioning coach supports the theory

2. Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE

Jul 6, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT

Mo Williams, Kevin Love, Kyrie Irving AP

Cleveland fills its biggest need with its second-best roster-building mechanism

3. Reports: Mavericks re-sign J.J. Barea for two-years, $5.6 million

Jul 6, 2015, 6:44 PM EDT

J.J. Barea J.J. Barea

This is a solid signing, but the Mavs need more help at the guard spot.

4. Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade

Jul 6, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

This trade could work for both teams if the Clippers can flip Haywood’s contract again for a big man.

5. Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs

Jul 6, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT

David West David West

West left $10.6 million on the table to go to a contender.

6. Report: Dallas thinking of bringing back Jason Terry

Jul 6, 2015, 4:12 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

Signing Terry would go over well with the fan base in Dallas

7. Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season

Jul 6, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 10:  Manu Ginobli #20 of the San Antonio Spurs gestures to a teammate in the game against the Los Angeles Clippers at Staples Center on November 10, 2014 in Los Angeles, California.  NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement.  (Photo by Stephen Dunn/Getty Images) Getty Images

Can the Spurs keep Patty Mills and Boris Diaw, too? Ginobili must still negotiate a contract

8. Report: Cavaliers-Nets Joe Johnson trade talks stagnate

Jul 6, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Nobody wants Anderson Varejao and his contract

9. Report: Nuggets hire Ed Pinckney as assistant coach

Jul 6, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

Fred Hoiberg, Ed Pinckney AP

Michael Malone lands a good lieutenant

Top 10 NBA Player Searches