Dwight Howard says Lakers told him he will not be traded

Feb 15, 2013, 7:24 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers Howard answers a question during media availability for the NBA All-Star basketball game in Houston

HOUSTON — Dwight Howard was among the more popular players in terms of media attention on Friday, and it wasn’t because of his sparkling smile or fun-loving personality.

All of the players participating in the events of All-Star weekend had group availability sessions, and between the constant struggles of the Lakers this season and Howard’s impending free agency, he was a prime choice to be targeted in order to get his thoughts on both of those topics.

While Dwight chose to continue to avoid getting into the specifics of whether or not he’ll re-sign with the Lakers, he did make it clear that he’s not worried about being dealt by the team before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

“They told me they weren’t going to trade me,” Howard said. “I’d be surprised. They told me they wouldn’t trade me. That’s what [Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak] said.”

Now that Howard has assurances from the team that they’re committed to building a winner around him, it would only have been polite to reciprocate by saying he’d stay in Los Angeles beyond this season. He’s not ready to do that, however, and tried to explain his reasoning for keeping his options open.

“The only thing that matters is the present,” Howard said. “And right now there’s no need for me to talk about what happens at the end of the season. There’s no need to go back and forth about it, I just feel like at the end of the year, I should have my opportunity to make my decision.

“I shouldn’t be pressured criticized for waiting until the end of the year,” Howard continued. “I don’t think its fair for my teammates. I don’t think it’s fair for the fans or anybody to be worried about what’s going to happen at the end of the year. Our job is to come out and play hard every night, and we have to live in the moment. Nobody can control what happens at the end of the year.”

When asked if it’s fair to be criticized for keeping quiet about whether a return to the Lakers is likely, Howard simply said he didn’t want to go through the drama that followed him to the very end of his final season in Orlando.

“I had to deal with it all last year, so I’m not going to do it again,” he said.

Howard admitted the first half of the season hasn’t exactly gone according to plan for the Lakers, but said the team is doing a good job of tuning out the distractions as they continue to try to make things work from a basketball standpoint.

“I didn’t expect for it to go as sour as it’s going,” Howard said of his time thus far in Los Angeles. “There’s always room for improvement. We’ve had to battle a lot of things this year — guys getting injured, us not winning, and just all the drama that’s outside of the locker room.

“We’ve had to deal with a lot. But I think for the most part, as a team, we’ve done a good job of staying strong and staying together. It’ll get better.”

And if it doesn’t, Howard has the option to move on. When asked what would ultimately make him choose between the Lakers and another team this offseason, he summed it up rather succinctly.

“I’m going to do what makes me happy,” Howard said. “That’s it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players

Mar 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EST

SAN ANTONIO SPURS V DALLAS MAVERICKS Getty Images

Silver talked about the league one day sharing injury data at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference.

2. Jordan Brand previews 2015 holiday retro lineup (PHOTOS)

Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

304775-142_Back3Q_native_600

A look at upcoming retro releases of the Jordan VIII, Jordan 1, Jordan XIV Low, and the Jordan VII.

3. Markieff Morris rips Suns fans after blowout home loss to Spurs

Mar 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Phoenix Suns v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Odd timing, only because fans in Phoenix have historically shown up for games against San Antonio and Los Angeles.

4. Michael Beasley with a monster slam over Hawks’ Mike Muscala (VIDEO)

Mar 1, 2015, 8:33 AM EST

Milwaukee Bucks v Miami Heat Getty Images

Beasley throws one down in his second game back with the Heat.

5. Daryl Morey: ‘Take James Harden off our team, and we’re nowhere’

Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

J.J. Redick, DeAndre Jordan, James Harden J.J. Redick, DeAndre Jordan, James Harden

Rockets general manager says he recommended trading ‘everything’ for Harden in 2012

6. Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

He was evaluated by doctors after the game Friday.

7. Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48

Feb 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EST

Anthony mason knicks Getty Images

He had been in the hospital for weeks following multiple heart attacks.

8. Langston Galloway three forces overtime, Knicks go on to victory (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

New York Knicks v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

The Knicks got the double OT win in Detroit, this shot was key.

9. Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway

Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

Russell Westbrook AP

Westbrook is averaging a triple-double over his last five games.

10. Knicks’ Alexey Shved misses shot about as badly as you can (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 1:02 AM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. New York Knicks TD Garden Getty Images

To quote Bob Uecker, “juuuuust a bit outside.”

11. Rumor: Baron Davis planning an NBA comeback. Stop laughing, he’s serious.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:00 PM EST

Jordan Brand Melo M9 Shoe Launch Getty Images

There is about as much chance of me getting a date with Emily Ratajkowski this weekend as there is of this actually happening.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. D. Rose (8320)
  2. K. Durant (7665)
  3. S. Curry (7189)
  4. D. Howard (7179)
  5. R. Westbrook (6858)
  1. P. George (6432)
  2. A. Davis (6078)
  3. L. James (5971)
  4. M. Carter-Williams (5938)
  5. B. Beal (5863)