Dwight Howard says Lakers told him he will not be traded

Feb 15, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Howard answers a question during media availability for the NBA All-Star basketball game in Houston

HOUSTON — Dwight Howard was among the more popular players in terms of media attention on Friday, and it wasn’t because of his sparkling smile or fun-loving personality.

All of the players participating in the events of All-Star weekend had group availability sessions, and between the constant struggles of the Lakers this season and Howard’s impending free agency, he was a prime choice to be targeted in order to get his thoughts on both of those topics.

While Dwight chose to continue to avoid getting into the specifics of whether or not he’ll re-sign with the Lakers, he did make it clear that he’s not worried about being dealt by the team before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

“They told me they weren’t going to trade me,” Howard said. “I’d be surprised. They told me they wouldn’t trade me. That’s what [Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak] said.”

Now that Howard has assurances from the team that they’re committed to building a winner around him, it would only have been polite to reciprocate by saying he’d stay in Los Angeles beyond this season. He’s not ready to do that, however, and tried to explain his reasoning for keeping his options open.

“The only thing that matters is the present,” Howard said. “And right now there’s no need for me to talk about what happens at the end of the season. There’s no need to go back and forth about it, I just feel like at the end of the year, I should have my opportunity to make my decision.

“I shouldn’t be pressured criticized for waiting until the end of the year,” Howard continued. “I don’t think its fair for my teammates. I don’t think it’s fair for the fans or anybody to be worried about what’s going to happen at the end of the year. Our job is to come out and play hard every night, and we have to live in the moment. Nobody can control what happens at the end of the year.”

When asked if it’s fair to be criticized for keeping quiet about whether a return to the Lakers is likely, Howard simply said he didn’t want to go through the drama that followed him to the very end of his final season in Orlando.

“I had to deal with it all last year, so I’m not going to do it again,” he said.

Howard admitted the first half of the season hasn’t exactly gone according to plan for the Lakers, but said the team is doing a good job of tuning out the distractions as they continue to try to make things work from a basketball standpoint.

“I didn’t expect for it to go as sour as it’s going,” Howard said of his time thus far in Los Angeles. “There’s always room for improvement. We’ve had to battle a lot of things this year — guys getting injured, us not winning, and just all the drama that’s outside of the locker room.

“We’ve had to deal with a lot. But I think for the most part, as a team, we’ve done a good job of staying strong and staying together. It’ll get better.”

And if it doesn’t, Howard has the option to move on. When asked what would ultimately make him choose between the Lakers and another team this offseason, he summed it up rather succinctly.

“I’m going to do what makes me happy,” Howard said. “That’s it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Chris Bosh says he was ‘close’ to leaving the Heat in free agency

Aug 1, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT

Chris Bosh AP

Bosh was very close to leaving Miami in free agency,

2. Klay Thompson, Kyle Korver engage in three-point shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp (VIDEO)

Jul 31, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Klay Thompson and Kyle Korver engaged in a shooting contest at USA Basketball mini-camp in Vegas.

3. Rosters announced for USA Basketball Showcase Friday night in Las Vegas

Jul 31, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Men's National Team Practice Getty Images

Mason Plumlee and DeMarcus Cousins will be on opposing teams in Friday’s exhibition.

4. Report: Mason Plumlee likely to make Team USA roster over DeMarcus Cousins

Jul 31, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

USA roster has more than enough talent, so it can afford to sacrifice some to get positive attitudes in place.

5. Kobe Bryant destroys some young fans in China in one-on-one (VIDEO)

Jul 31, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant Kobe Bryant

It’s the memory of a lifetime… even if you get embarrassed.

6. Report: Lakers contact Robert Horry about becoming assistant coach

Jul 31, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT

Horry puts shot up Getty Images

Mark Madsen and Paul Pressey also reportedly candidates for Byron Scott’s staff

7. John Wall’s goal for Wizards next season: ‘The Finals’

Jul 31, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Washington Wizards Getty Images

Wall raising expectations after Wizards met last season’s playoff goal

8. Gary Payton on becoming an assistant coach: “I’m getting interested now”

Jul 31, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT

Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony - Press Conference Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony - Press Conference

As tight as he is with Kidd, do you really think Payton would choose Milwaukee over Los Angeles?

9. Bucks sign Jerryd Bayless, Johnny O’Bryant

Jul 31, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT

Jerryd Bayless Jerryd Bayless

Milwaukee, with Damien Inglis in limbo, now facing roster crunch

10. Chandler Parsons, James Harden patch things up

Jul 31, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

Chandler Parsons, James Harden Chandler Parsons, James Harden

Like most “feuds,” once two rational people sit down and talk for a minute, everything dissipates.

11. Kevin Durant says he’s deleting Twitter from his phone

Jul 31, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Kevin Durant Kevin Durant

That means he’s signing with the Wizards, right?

12. Report: Will Cherry to sign with Raptors

Jul 31, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

Montana v Syracuse Getty Images

Barring another move, Toronto down to one roster spot for Lucas Nogueira or DeAndre Daniels

13. Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin

Jul 31, 2014, 10:41 AM EDT

2014 USA Basketball Practice Getty Images

“We think he’s one of the top players in the league and we need for him to be that five that nobody has.” —Mike Krzyzewski on Anthony Davis

14. Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay

Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Palmer to marry celebrity hair stylist Tanya Stine

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches