Dwight Howard says Lakers told him he will not be traded

Feb 15, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Howard answers a question during media availability for the NBA All-Star basketball game in Houston

HOUSTON — Dwight Howard was among the more popular players in terms of media attention on Friday, and it wasn’t because of his sparkling smile or fun-loving personality.

All of the players participating in the events of All-Star weekend had group availability sessions, and between the constant struggles of the Lakers this season and Howard’s impending free agency, he was a prime choice to be targeted in order to get his thoughts on both of those topics.

While Dwight chose to continue to avoid getting into the specifics of whether or not he’ll re-sign with the Lakers, he did make it clear that he’s not worried about being dealt by the team before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

“They told me they weren’t going to trade me,” Howard said. “I’d be surprised. They told me they wouldn’t trade me. That’s what [Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak] said.”

Now that Howard has assurances from the team that they’re committed to building a winner around him, it would only have been polite to reciprocate by saying he’d stay in Los Angeles beyond this season. He’s not ready to do that, however, and tried to explain his reasoning for keeping his options open.

“The only thing that matters is the present,” Howard said. “And right now there’s no need for me to talk about what happens at the end of the season. There’s no need to go back and forth about it, I just feel like at the end of the year, I should have my opportunity to make my decision.

“I shouldn’t be pressured criticized for waiting until the end of the year,” Howard continued. “I don’t think its fair for my teammates. I don’t think it’s fair for the fans or anybody to be worried about what’s going to happen at the end of the year. Our job is to come out and play hard every night, and we have to live in the moment. Nobody can control what happens at the end of the year.”

When asked if it’s fair to be criticized for keeping quiet about whether a return to the Lakers is likely, Howard simply said he didn’t want to go through the drama that followed him to the very end of his final season in Orlando.

“I had to deal with it all last year, so I’m not going to do it again,” he said.

Howard admitted the first half of the season hasn’t exactly gone according to plan for the Lakers, but said the team is doing a good job of tuning out the distractions as they continue to try to make things work from a basketball standpoint.

“I didn’t expect for it to go as sour as it’s going,” Howard said of his time thus far in Los Angeles. “There’s always room for improvement. We’ve had to battle a lot of things this year — guys getting injured, us not winning, and just all the drama that’s outside of the locker room.

“We’ve had to deal with a lot. But I think for the most part, as a team, we’ve done a good job of staying strong and staying together. It’ll get better.”

And if it doesn’t, Howard has the option to move on. When asked what would ultimately make him choose between the Lakers and another team this offseason, he summed it up rather succinctly.

“I’m going to do what makes me happy,” Howard said. “That’s it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Agency that reps Ray Allen says reports he intends to play for Cavaliers are ‘unfounded,’ no decision has been made

Jul 24, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Miami Heat's Allen and James slap hands during the second half of Game 4 of their NBA first round playoff series in Milwaukee Reuters

Despite reports that Allen was on the verge of signing with Cleveland, nothing has been decided just yet.

2. Blake Griffin withdraws from USA Basketball this summer

Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT

Blake Griffin Getty Images

Blake Griffin joins Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge as players who are passing on Team USA this summer.

3. Thursday And-1 links: All-Star logos, Pharrell Williams, Carmelo Anthony as anchor on Knicks

Jul 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

2015 All-Star logo

Plus there is an image of Dwyane Wade playing hoops with a dolphin.

4. Report: John Wall added to roster for Team USA training camp in Las Vegas

Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT

John Wall, LeBron James

Team USA is bringing Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose and John Wall to camp. And that’s just at the point guard spot.

5. Michael Jordan’s signed 1997-98 $33 million contract up for auction

Jul 24, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT

Michael Jordan AP

It’s the largest single-year contract in NBA history.

6. Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded

Jul 24, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

It’s another 30 days Minnesota can try to leverage a better deal out of Chicago, Golden State and anyone else who wants Kevin Love.

7. Is Paul George changing numbers?

Jul 24, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Game 5 Getty Images

His new nickname could be PG-13.

8. Chandler Parsons: Rockets told me to pursue big contract, they’d match

Jul 24, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT

Chandler Parsons Chandler Parsons

Houston obviously didn’t match, allowing Parsons to sign with Mavericks

9. Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach

Jul 24, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Do you think Jim Buss is going to give up his job, step aside for Rivers and put someone in over long-time trusted Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak? Really?

10. Nuggets sign former ACC Player of the Year Erick Green

Jul 24, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Nick Covington, Erick Green Nick Covington, Erick Green

Green, drafted No. 46 in 2013, spent a year overseas

11. Josh Huestis’ agent says D-League scheme arranged before NBA draft

Jul 24, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT

Josh Huestis Josh Huestis

Huestis would have accepted arrangement only with Thunder or Spurs, but will the NBA or players union allow it?

12. Isaiah Thomas: ‘I felt very disrespected’ by Kings

Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone Isaiah Thomas, Michael Malone

Sacramento’s search for a starting-caliber point guard let the one already there leave for Suns

13. Report: Manu Ginobili ‘optimistic’ about playing in World Cup despite Spurs’ wishes

Jul 24, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT

Manu Ginobili Manu Ginobili

San Antonio guard says he won’t represent Argentina if he still feels pain

14. Anthony Bennett breathing much easier after having tonsils out

Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v San Antonio Spurs Getty Images

The good news, he did not eat all the ice cream he wanted during his recovery from a tonsillectomy.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches