Dwight Howard says Lakers told him he will not be traded

Feb 15, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Howard answers a question during media availability for the NBA All-Star basketball game in Houston

HOUSTON — Dwight Howard was among the more popular players in terms of media attention on Friday, and it wasn’t because of his sparkling smile or fun-loving personality.

All of the players participating in the events of All-Star weekend had group availability sessions, and between the constant struggles of the Lakers this season and Howard’s impending free agency, he was a prime choice to be targeted in order to get his thoughts on both of those topics.

While Dwight chose to continue to avoid getting into the specifics of whether or not he’ll re-sign with the Lakers, he did make it clear that he’s not worried about being dealt by the team before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

“They told me they weren’t going to trade me,” Howard said. “I’d be surprised. They told me they wouldn’t trade me. That’s what [Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak] said.”

Now that Howard has assurances from the team that they’re committed to building a winner around him, it would only have been polite to reciprocate by saying he’d stay in Los Angeles beyond this season. He’s not ready to do that, however, and tried to explain his reasoning for keeping his options open.

“The only thing that matters is the present,” Howard said. “And right now there’s no need for me to talk about what happens at the end of the season. There’s no need to go back and forth about it, I just feel like at the end of the year, I should have my opportunity to make my decision.

“I shouldn’t be pressured criticized for waiting until the end of the year,” Howard continued. “I don’t think its fair for my teammates. I don’t think it’s fair for the fans or anybody to be worried about what’s going to happen at the end of the year. Our job is to come out and play hard every night, and we have to live in the moment. Nobody can control what happens at the end of the year.”

When asked if it’s fair to be criticized for keeping quiet about whether a return to the Lakers is likely, Howard simply said he didn’t want to go through the drama that followed him to the very end of his final season in Orlando.

“I had to deal with it all last year, so I’m not going to do it again,” he said.

Howard admitted the first half of the season hasn’t exactly gone according to plan for the Lakers, but said the team is doing a good job of tuning out the distractions as they continue to try to make things work from a basketball standpoint.

“I didn’t expect for it to go as sour as it’s going,” Howard said of his time thus far in Los Angeles. “There’s always room for improvement. We’ve had to battle a lot of things this year — guys getting injured, us not winning, and just all the drama that’s outside of the locker room.

“We’ve had to deal with a lot. But I think for the most part, as a team, we’ve done a good job of staying strong and staying together. It’ll get better.”

And if it doesn’t, Howard has the option to move on. When asked what would ultimately make him choose between the Lakers and another team this offseason, he summed it up rather succinctly.

“I’m going to do what makes me happy,” Howard said. “That’s it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Caldwell Jones dies at 64

Sep 22, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs Portland Trailblazers vs. San Antonio Spurs

Jones – who played for the 76ers, Rockets, Bulls (during Michael Jordan’s rookie season), Trail Blazers and Spurs – helped shape Tim Duncan’s career

2. Tyson Chandler: ‘I’m going to make’ Mavericks defend

Sep 22, 2014, 2:04 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio Tyson Chandler, Ricky Rubio

Chandler: ‘We are going to be a great defensive team’

3. NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that.

Sep 22, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT

Adam Silver Adam Silver

There were multiple NBA players arrested on domestic abuse charges last year. The spotlight on those cases will be different now.

4. Nuggets sign forward Marcus Williams

Sep 22, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Arizona Wildcats v North Carolina Tar Heels Arizona Wildcats v North Carolina Tar Heels

This is the Marcus Williams who played at Arizona, not Connecticut

5. Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt

Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT

A Cleveland Cavaliers fan interrupts play during their NBA basketball game against Miami Heat in Cleveland Reuters

James Blair can watch LeBron in person in Cleveland again

6. Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape

Sep 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Blake Griffin GQ

“The first thing I ever Googled about the man, the first thing that popped up was “racist.” So I was aware. I hate to say this, and it might sound ignorant, but I wasn’t surprised that all this came up.”—Blake Griffin on Donald Sterling

7. ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls

Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Washington Wizards - NBA Global Games Rio 2013 Getty Images

A healthy D Rose could have the Bulls contending for a title.

8. Miami to stick with small ball, including Danny Granger getting time at the four

Sep 22, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Clippers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron is gone but Miami is still playing small, pressuring the ball.

9. Report: Cavaliers signing A.J. Price

Sep 22, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Cleveland Cavaliers Washington Wizards v Cleveland Cavaliers

Price will provide point guard depth – at least through training camp

10. Celtics GM Danny Ainge remains noncommittal on trading Rajon Rondo

Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

“The truthful answer is I really don’t know.” —Danny Ainge on potentially trading Rajon Rondo

11. Bucks’ Larry Sanders to play with goggles next season

Sep 22, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT

Larry Sanders

Remember Sanders suffered a serious eye injury last season.

12. Golden State Warriors top 10 plays of 2014 season (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Way more Andre Iguodala than you might expect.

13. Report: Celtics will complete Evan Turner signing before training camp begins

Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Turner’s stock has dropped significantly since being traded from the Sixers to the Pacers in the middle of last season.

14. NBA’s rookie transition program tries to educate, but some of the information is presented in poor taste

Sep 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

You can see what they’re trying to do, but some of the things presented went a bit too far.

15. Behind the scenes look at internal media day for Charlotte Hornets (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

courtesy Bobcats.com

Our first real look at the new uniforms and new court design.

16. Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO)

Sep 21, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Tony Parker Tony Parker

I’m pretty sure Popovich doesn’t want him taking one of these in a game.

17. Hornets’ Jeff Taylor says he’s recovered from ruptured Achilles

Sep 21, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Charlotte Bobcats Dallas Mavericks v Charlotte Bobcats

He’s going to fight for minutes at a crowded wing spot in Charlotte.

18. Andrew Wiggins says he doesn’t feel much pressure heading to Minnesota

Sep 21, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Timberwolves New Players Getty Images

Nobody expects much from the Timberwolves or Wiggins this season, outside of a few highlight dunks.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches