Dwight Howard says Lakers told him he will not be traded

Feb 15, 2013, 7:24 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers Howard answers a question during media availability for the NBA All-Star basketball game in Houston

HOUSTON — Dwight Howard was among the more popular players in terms of media attention on Friday, and it wasn’t because of his sparkling smile or fun-loving personality.

All of the players participating in the events of All-Star weekend had group availability sessions, and between the constant struggles of the Lakers this season and Howard’s impending free agency, he was a prime choice to be targeted in order to get his thoughts on both of those topics.

While Dwight chose to continue to avoid getting into the specifics of whether or not he’ll re-sign with the Lakers, he did make it clear that he’s not worried about being dealt by the team before the Feb. 21 trade deadline.

“They told me they weren’t going to trade me,” Howard said. “I’d be surprised. They told me they wouldn’t trade me. That’s what [Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak] said.”

Now that Howard has assurances from the team that they’re committed to building a winner around him, it would only have been polite to reciprocate by saying he’d stay in Los Angeles beyond this season. He’s not ready to do that, however, and tried to explain his reasoning for keeping his options open.

“The only thing that matters is the present,” Howard said. “And right now there’s no need for me to talk about what happens at the end of the season. There’s no need to go back and forth about it, I just feel like at the end of the year, I should have my opportunity to make my decision.

“I shouldn’t be pressured criticized for waiting until the end of the year,” Howard continued. “I don’t think its fair for my teammates. I don’t think it’s fair for the fans or anybody to be worried about what’s going to happen at the end of the year. Our job is to come out and play hard every night, and we have to live in the moment. Nobody can control what happens at the end of the year.”

When asked if it’s fair to be criticized for keeping quiet about whether a return to the Lakers is likely, Howard simply said he didn’t want to go through the drama that followed him to the very end of his final season in Orlando.

“I had to deal with it all last year, so I’m not going to do it again,” he said.

Howard admitted the first half of the season hasn’t exactly gone according to plan for the Lakers, but said the team is doing a good job of tuning out the distractions as they continue to try to make things work from a basketball standpoint.

“I didn’t expect for it to go as sour as it’s going,” Howard said of his time thus far in Los Angeles. “There’s always room for improvement. We’ve had to battle a lot of things this year — guys getting injured, us not winning, and just all the drama that’s outside of the locker room.

“We’ve had to deal with a lot. But I think for the most part, as a team, we’ve done a good job of staying strong and staying together. It’ll get better.”

And if it doesn’t, Howard has the option to move on. When asked what would ultimately make him choose between the Lakers and another team this offseason, he summed it up rather succinctly.

“I’m going to do what makes me happy,” Howard said. “That’s it.”

Latest Posts
  1. Doc Rivers signs contract with Clippers through 2019

Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’

2. Donald Sterling doesn’t appeal, basically throws in towel on owning Clippers

Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling will try to embarrass the league going forward, but he will not ever own the Clippers again.

3. Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.

4. Sixers GM says he never had conversations about acquiring Anthony Bennett

Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie

Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.

5. Report: Clippers plan to stretch Carlos Delfino, waive Miroslav Raduljica

Aug 27, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Carlos Delfino Carlos Delfino

Clippers could sign Chris Douglas-Roberts, Ekpe Udoh with freed cap space

6. Anthony Davis was filling up the stat sheet vs. Slovenia (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

Davis had 18 points, nine rebounds, five blocks and three steals in 20 minutes of work.

7. Kyrie Irving, Goran Dragic threw some wicked moves at each other (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT

Puerto Rico v United States Getty Images

The point guards made this blowout more fun to watch.

8. Bucks sign No. 31 pick Damien Inglis

Aug 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

Milwaukee’s trade with Clippers cleared a roster spot

9. Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ agent denies comeback attempt

Aug 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Former Cavaliers center, 39, has been retired three years

10. Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers

Aug 26, 2014, 5:23 PM EDT

Hasheem Thabeet, Maalik Wayns Hasheem Thabeet, Maalik Wayns

Oklahoma City will create trade exception, and Philadelphia will waive Thabeet

11. From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle

Aug 26, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT

Olympics Day 16 - Basketball Olympics Day 16 - Basketball

Kevin Love: ‘My decision’ swayed by LeBron James calling just after choosing Cavaliers in free agency

12. New NBA rule clears more space on baseline

Aug 26, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

Russell Westbrook Russell Westbrook

Number of camera positions behind baseline to be halved

13. Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica

Aug 26, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT

Jared Dudley Jared Dudley

Clippers limit their present and future, and the Bucks gain an easy asset

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches