Feb 15, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
HOUSTON — Eric Spoelstra takes his “positionless” basketball seriously.
Given the choice for who would start for the injured Rajon Rondo in the All-Star Game Sunday, the Heat coach went with one of his own. And he knew from the start.
“I decided when we beat Toronto and we clinched (back on Feb. 3)…” Spoelstra said, adding he just didn’t want it to be public yet. “I told Chris and his wife that night, we had a Super Bowl party that night and I told him.
“My allegiance and my loyalty are with the Heat and with Chris — and to be fair he is one of the leading vote getters anyway. It all works out and it fits with our positionless style.”
Spoelstra sounds like he wants to have a lot of fun with the positionless lineups as he has a team of All-Stars to experiment with. Tyson Chandler had talked about wanting to be out on the court with Kevin Garnett to put a defense first lineup on the court and see how that goes.
“Hopefully we can play a few different lineups of positionless basketball,” Spoelstra said. “Maybe get some seven footers out there, all the seven footers, and maybe go some all perimeter players out there.”
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona