Bledsoe, Thompson, lots of young stars idolize Vince Carter

Feb 15, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT

Vince Carter Raptors Getty Images

HOUSTON — When NBA All-Star Saturday Dunk Contest participant Eric Bledsoe was asked about his favorite dunk contest dunk he didn’t hesitate.

“I think that dunk contest where Vince Carter did the 360,” Bledsoe said.

That same answer came up over and over with young players — to them the legend of Michael Jordan or Dominique Wilkins dunks were something they saw on YouTube. Vince Carter was the guy they grew up watching and being amazed by.

“To be honest, I don’t think nobody here (in the BBVA Rising Stars challenge, the rookie/sophomore game) saw Michael like that because we were all born in the 1990s,” said Cavaliers forward Tristan Thompson. “We were too young to watch him on TV.

“For me personally it was Vince Carter, me being from Toronto, Canada. Vinsanity was my Michael Jordan. I looked up to him.”

And as it was for Kobe Bryant growing up idolizing Jordan and then getting to play against him, Thompson and this generation now get to face and older but still dangerous Carter on the court, just now with the Mavericks.

Thompson has a special connection with his idol.

“I actually went to his camp when I was younger, so he remembered me from when I was in ninth grade,” Thompson said. “So he and I chit-chatted and had a couple jokes. But Vince was one of the great players for (Toronto) and one of the great players of this league.”

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron had 30, Kyrie Irving added 26 to give Cleveland the 2-0 lead in the series.

2. Chandler Parsons out for Game 2, maybe rest of Rockets series

Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT

Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza AP

Devin Harris also out Game 2 for Mavericks

3. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

4. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

5. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

6. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

7. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

8. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

9. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2