Feb 14, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
Eric Gordon didn’t make a lot of friends in the New Orleans fan base last summer when he begged the organization not to match the max-contract offer from the Phoenix Suns. Then Gordon was back in Los Angeles dealing with knee pain for the first half of the season. Now since his return he’s had some good nights, he’s had others where it looks like he’d rather be anywhere else.
With all that history, are the Hornets willing to trade Eric Gordon?
Probably not, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN in a trade rumor post (behind their pay wall). But probably not is different than “no way,” which was the response initially. After some teams called the Hornets the Hornets made some calls to judge market value.
I’m told a Gordon trade this season is highly unlikely, with one source with knowledge of the situation telling ESPN.com this week that, as things stand, there’s “less than a 10 percent chance” New Orleans would move Gordon before the deadline. Still, the fact that the Hornets made calls around the league implies that they are at least warming up to the idea of moving him at some point.
There would be interested parties, but the Hornets are going to want a lot of value back. Dell Demps pictured Gordon and Anthony Davis growing up together and learning to win together as young players in an Oklahoma City sort of way. They have a potential franchise anchor in Davis, they will want young studs to go with him. Not your bad contracts.
But it’s something to watch.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 0
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)