Feb 14, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Eric Gordon didn’t make a lot of friends in the New Orleans fan base last summer when he begged the organization not to match the max-contract offer from the Phoenix Suns. Then Gordon was back in Los Angeles dealing with knee pain for the first half of the season. Now since his return he’s had some good nights, he’s had others where it looks like he’d rather be anywhere else.
With all that history, are the Hornets willing to trade Eric Gordon?
Probably not, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN in a trade rumor post (behind their pay wall). But probably not is different than “no way,” which was the response initially. After some teams called the Hornets the Hornets made some calls to judge market value.
I’m told a Gordon trade this season is highly unlikely, with one source with knowledge of the situation telling ESPN.com this week that, as things stand, there’s “less than a 10 percent chance” New Orleans would move Gordon before the deadline. Still, the fact that the Hornets made calls around the league implies that they are at least warming up to the idea of moving him at some point.
There would be interested parties, but the Hornets are going to want a lot of value back. Dell Demps pictured Gordon and Anthony Davis growing up together and learning to win together as young players in an Oklahoma City sort of way. They have a potential franchise anchor in Davis, they will want young studs to go with him. Not your bad contracts.
But it’s something to watch.
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 0
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 75
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12