Feb 14, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Eric Gordon didn’t make a lot of friends in the New Orleans fan base last summer when he begged the organization not to match the max-contract offer from the Phoenix Suns. Then Gordon was back in Los Angeles dealing with knee pain for the first half of the season. Now since his return he’s had some good nights, he’s had others where it looks like he’d rather be anywhere else.
With all that history, are the Hornets willing to trade Eric Gordon?
Probably not, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN in a trade rumor post (behind their pay wall). But probably not is different than “no way,” which was the response initially. After some teams called the Hornets the Hornets made some calls to judge market value.
I’m told a Gordon trade this season is highly unlikely, with one source with knowledge of the situation telling ESPN.com this week that, as things stand, there’s “less than a 10 percent chance” New Orleans would move Gordon before the deadline. Still, the fact that the Hornets made calls around the league implies that they are at least warming up to the idea of moving him at some point.
There would be interested parties, but the Hornets are going to want a lot of value back. Dell Demps pictured Gordon and Anthony Davis growing up together and learning to win together as young players in an Oklahoma City sort of way. They have a potential franchise anchor in Davis, they will want young studs to go with him. Not your bad contracts.
But it’s something to watch.
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 20
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8
- Hawks face uphill climb after DeMarre Carroll injury 10