Feb 14, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Eric Gordon didn’t make a lot of friends in the New Orleans fan base last summer when he begged the organization not to match the max-contract offer from the Phoenix Suns. Then Gordon was back in Los Angeles dealing with knee pain for the first half of the season. Now since his return he’s had some good nights, he’s had others where it looks like he’d rather be anywhere else.
With all that history, are the Hornets willing to trade Eric Gordon?
Probably not, reports Chris Broussard at ESPN in a trade rumor post (behind their pay wall). But probably not is different than “no way,” which was the response initially. After some teams called the Hornets the Hornets made some calls to judge market value.
I’m told a Gordon trade this season is highly unlikely, with one source with knowledge of the situation telling ESPN.com this week that, as things stand, there’s “less than a 10 percent chance” New Orleans would move Gordon before the deadline. Still, the fact that the Hornets made calls around the league implies that they are at least warming up to the idea of moving him at some point.
There would be interested parties, but the Hornets are going to want a lot of value back. Dell Demps pictured Gordon and Anthony Davis growing up together and learning to win together as young players in an Oklahoma City sort of way. They have a potential franchise anchor in Davis, they will want young studs to go with him. Not your bad contracts.
But it’s something to watch.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14