Feb 14, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Ben Gordon was already on the trade block — Charlotte had used him as part of an offer to Brooklyn to pry Kris Humphries away. So far the Nets haven’t taken the bait as they have shopped Humphries around for players the Nets actually want.
But now the Nets have really stepped up their efforts to trade Gordon following a run in he had with coach Mike Dunlap, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
As Dunlap led the Bobcats in a morning shootaround on Monday before a victory over the Celtics, Gordon refused Dunlap’s request to stop bouncing a ball as the coach spoke, sources said. Before long, Gordon began baiting Dunlap, telling him that he needed to “humble himself,” sources said….
“Beyond disrespectful,” was how one league source described the scene.
Yup, that will get you traded.
The front office didn’t suspend Gordon, a decision sources said was based in part on the belief the incident would diminish his trade value so close to the league’s deadline next Thursday.
The problem with moving Gordon is his contract — he makes $12.4 million this season and $13.2 million next season. That’s a lot of scratch for a gunner you bring off the bench. If a team needs outside shooting badly enough and has a big contract they want to move badly enough there can be a conversations, but that’s a limited marketplace.
Still, the Bobcats are trying really hard now to find him a new home.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 37
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42