Feb 14, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Ben Gordon was already on the trade block — Charlotte had used him as part of an offer to Brooklyn to pry Kris Humphries away. So far the Nets haven’t taken the bait as they have shopped Humphries around for players the Nets actually want.
But now the Nets have really stepped up their efforts to trade Gordon following a run in he had with coach Mike Dunlap, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
As Dunlap led the Bobcats in a morning shootaround on Monday before a victory over the Celtics, Gordon refused Dunlap’s request to stop bouncing a ball as the coach spoke, sources said. Before long, Gordon began baiting Dunlap, telling him that he needed to “humble himself,” sources said….
“Beyond disrespectful,” was how one league source described the scene.
Yup, that will get you traded.
The front office didn’t suspend Gordon, a decision sources said was based in part on the belief the incident would diminish his trade value so close to the league’s deadline next Thursday.
The problem with moving Gordon is his contract — he makes $12.4 million this season and $13.2 million next season. That’s a lot of scratch for a gunner you bring off the bench. If a team needs outside shooting badly enough and has a big contract they want to move badly enough there can be a conversations, but that’s a limited marketplace.
Still, the Bobcats are trying really hard now to find him a new home.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 17
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 8
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save