Feb 14, 2013, 5:52 PM EDT
This is nothing new. Rings, assists, scoring, rebounds, defense, choker, clutch, blah blah blah. You’ve heard it all before.
But when the guy most consider to be the greatest player ever weighs in on the debate? People tend to listen.
So who would Michael Jordan take? Kobe or LeBron?
“If you had to pick between the two, that would be a tough choice,” Jordan, now owner of the Charlotte Bobcats, told program host Ahmad Rashard, “but five beats one every time I look at it.”
Bryant has won five championships with the Los Angeles Lakers, with James winning his first NBA title last June. Jordan, of course, won six championships with the Chicago Bulls
“And not that he won’t get five,” Jordan said of James. “He may get more than that, but five is bigger than one.”
It’s the only argument he needs, Shawn! In one fell swoop, Michael Jordan just vindicated everyone making the “Ringzzz!” argument all these years. This is a real watershed type moment for the screaming basketball fan who gives you unsolicited hot sports takes. Michael Jordan is on their side! The greatest ever! Who is more qualified to judge greatness than Michael Jeffrey Jordan?
What does LeBron think about all this? He doesn’t care so long as he can keep talking in the third person.
Told of Jordan’s view regarding Bryant, James left the conjecture to others.
“That doesn’t matter to me,” he said. “If you take Kobe one and then I go second . . . it doesn’t matter. I don’t really get too involved about what guys say about me, or if you take Kobe or if you take LeBron.
“As long as I’m on the floor and I try to make plays for my teammates, I don’t do what I do for other people’s approval.”
Make plays for your teammates? That’s a nice subtle dig, LeBron. Although he can’t do it now, ask LeBron about this seven years from now when he’s in full blown no filter mode like Kobe is now. Bet the digs might not be as subtle then.
With LeBron all but abstaining from the debate, Dywane Wade was asked for his opinion on how LeBron stacks up with Jordan instead of Kobe. That’s a whole different debate, but Wade made the tough choice the only way you should make tough choices, obviously.
For a moment, Kobe-LeBron took the spotlight from Jordan-LeBron, but only for a brief moment.
And yes, Heat guard Dwyane Wade said Thursday, teammates are more than aware of the growing comparisons.
Of Jordan-LeBron, Wade said, “If I’m a GM, I close my eyes and I pick out of a hat if they’re both at the same age. I close my eyes and pick out of a hat.”
Like many, though, Wade said the comparisons are unfair.
“It’s simple,” Wade said, “there’ll never be another Michael Jordan. He was the first kind of to do a lot of things. Whenever you’re the first, there can never be another.”
So Jordan would take Kobe over LeBron, LeBron doesn’t care if you take him or Kobe, and Wade would leave the LeBron-MJ choice to fate.
Got all that?
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 8
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 23
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 8
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 101
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'