Feb 14, 2013, 7:57 AM EDT
What he got instead was an elbow to the bicep of his right arm. His shooting arm. He said after the game it was a deep bruise that left him with numbness and that he battled the dead arm all game. Anthony shot 5-for-24 on his way to just a dozen points in the Knicks loss.
And if his arm continues to bother him through the weekend he said he would sit out he All-Star Game Sunday. From the AP.
“I’m not going to force it, definitely not going to force it. As bad as I would want to play in the All-Star Game, participate, if I can’t go, I can’t go. Nothing I can do about that,” Anthony said.
The NBA frowns on healthy players sitting out the All-Star Game — if he doesn’t play Sunday the league likely would keep him out of the Knicks next game the following Wednesday at Indiana. New York doesn’t want that, so smart money says ‘Melo at least plays some token minutes Sunday. It is possible the league could replace him on short notice, but again this is going to have to be pretty bad for everyone to go down that road.
Anthony was voted in an All-Star starter by the fans. Anthony is having his best season as a pro, averaging 28.6 points per game (second best in the NBA) and 6.5 rebounds a contest with a career best PER of 23.8. He has led the Knicks to the second best record in the East heading into All-Star weekend.
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 1
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 33
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 15
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 36
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'