Feb 14, 2013, 7:57 AM EDT
What he got instead was an elbow to the bicep of his right arm. His shooting arm. He said after the game it was a deep bruise that left him with numbness and that he battled the dead arm all game. Anthony shot 5-for-24 on his way to just a dozen points in the Knicks loss.
And if his arm continues to bother him through the weekend he said he would sit out he All-Star Game Sunday. From the AP.
“I’m not going to force it, definitely not going to force it. As bad as I would want to play in the All-Star Game, participate, if I can’t go, I can’t go. Nothing I can do about that,” Anthony said.
The NBA frowns on healthy players sitting out the All-Star Game — if he doesn’t play Sunday the league likely would keep him out of the Knicks next game the following Wednesday at Indiana. New York doesn’t want that, so smart money says ‘Melo at least plays some token minutes Sunday. It is possible the league could replace him on short notice, but again this is going to have to be pretty bad for everyone to go down that road.
Anthony was voted in an All-Star starter by the fans. Anthony is having his best season as a pro, averaging 28.6 points per game (second best in the NBA) and 6.5 rebounds a contest with a career best PER of 23.8. He has led the Knicks to the second best record in the East heading into All-Star weekend.
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 19
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 19
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 8
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 50
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 29
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (79)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay