Feb 14, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
This weekend will be Kevin Garnett’s 15th All-Star Game. He has been part of every one since 1997 and this year he was voted in by the fans as an All-Star starter.
And he says it will be his last one.
The video is above but here is the money quote, via A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
“This is definitely my last All-Star game,” Garnett proclaimed. “Y’all don’t know what I know. Put it like this, I’m more than grateful for going (to the All-Star game). I’m not gonna act like I got more All-Star games in me or whatever. So I’m actually going to enjoy this one with some friends and family.”
Garnett realized this implied he could retire after this season and he backtracked from that (he has two years left on his contract). It sounds like after 15 of these he would just like to take a weekend off, sit at home, rest, and watch the entire first season of Homeland in a day. I can understand that.
That’s also not the way it works. If he plays in the league next year and fans vote him in the league will require him to play — miss the All-Star Game and you have to sit out one game (at least) injured on either side of that exhibition.
We’ll see how it plays out. But KG wants this to be it.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10