Feb 14, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
It’s expensive to go to an NBA game.
According to an annual report published at ESPN, the cost of the average NBA ticket is $50.99, up 3.5 percent from the year before. That is still less than the average NFL ticket ($78, and those stadiums are much larger) and the NHL ($61), but less than MLB.
But if you take your family and need four tickets, plus parking, plus hot dogs and a soda… it adds up fast.
Say it’s expensive to attend a game and the league office will tell you how every team is required to have some $10 seats set aside for every game — and they do. Teams league wide also do a good job of working with local youth groups to help get schools and Boy Scout troupes in at a reduced price.
They just balance that out with luxury boxes and expensive courtside seats. Make no mistake — that is what drives gate and arena revenue. The casual fan who pays to sit way up at the top of the arena is a shrinking part of the economic reality for teams. Not that teams ignore or don’t care about those fans, they do, but that’s not what drives the economic model anymore. And we all know teams follow the money.
Really, if you want to attend a game at an affordable price, the way to do it is the secondary ticket market (like Stubhub). You can literally get tickets to games for under $1 — not the big games, you’re not going to Heat vs. Thunder for that price, but if you just want in an NBA arena at an affordable price, the tickets are there.
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 1
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 33
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 15
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 36
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'