Feb 14, 2013, 10:57 AM EDT
Last night a 36-year-old Vince Carter channeled the version of himself from 12 years ago (if that younger self was a better three-point shooter) and dominated the key stretch of the Mavericks win over the Kings. Carter scored 17 points in the third quarter with a barrage of threes, going 5-of-7 from deep in the period. Carter finished with 26 points on the night.
And during that barrage Carter moved past Larry Bird to move into 29th place on the NBA’s all-time scoring list. Carter now has 21,796 points for his career.
This is a tribute to longevity — Bird was a better player than Carter but he played a couple fewer seasons than Carter (and Bird’s last seasons he didn’t play as much as he battled back injuries).
But Carter, for all his flaws, could always score the rock. First as an explosive dunking machine that spawned “Vinsanity” and now as a role player who can still have some big nights (he’s got a PER of 21 this season).
We need to give Carter a nod for that, he’s been a good player in this league for a long time. And this is a sign of that.
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 78
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 46
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (79)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay