Feb 13, 2013, 1:36 AM EDT
It seems like we should just rename this the LeBron James and two other guys of the night award, given the tear the league’s reigning MVP has been on over the last six games. We’ll get to that shortly, but first, a couple of other performances that are more than worth mentioning.
Third Star: Dwight Howard (19 points, 18 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 41 minutes in win over Suns)
Dwight has been at the center of the Lakers firestorm recently, for reasons that are partially justified and some that are not. But he came through on this night, and seemed to be actively working to have better on-court chemistry with Steve Nash. On a night where Kobe Bryant didn’t even take a shot until three and a half minutes had gone by in the third quarter, and didn’t make one until there were just over two minutes remaining in the game, L.A. needed someone else to step up offensively, and Howard did that in this one.
The Raptors lost a ton of close, heart-wrenching games in the first part of the season, largely because they didn’t have anyone they could give the ball to with the game on the line who could be counted on to produce in the clutch. After trading for Gay, Toronto seems to have found someone to fill that role. It was already the second time since joining the Raptors that Gay has come through with a game-winning shot.
First Star: LeBron James (30 points, nine assists, 11-15 shooting, NBA record set)
LeBron continued his insane shooting run on Tuesday, and did so to the point where he made history. He became the first player ever to score 30 or more points in six straight games, while shooting better than 60 percent from the field in each. During that six-game stretch, James has managed to shoot 66-85 from the field, good for a blistering mark of 77.6 percent. Simply ridiculous.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29