Feb 13, 2013, 1:36 AM EDT
It seems like we should just rename this the LeBron James and two other guys of the night award, given the tear the league’s reigning MVP has been on over the last six games. We’ll get to that shortly, but first, a couple of other performances that are more than worth mentioning.
Third Star: Dwight Howard (19 points, 18 rebounds, 2 blocked shots, 41 minutes in win over Suns)
Dwight has been at the center of the Lakers firestorm recently, for reasons that are partially justified and some that are not. But he came through on this night, and seemed to be actively working to have better on-court chemistry with Steve Nash. On a night where Kobe Bryant didn’t even take a shot until three and a half minutes had gone by in the third quarter, and didn’t make one until there were just over two minutes remaining in the game, L.A. needed someone else to step up offensively, and Howard did that in this one.
The Raptors lost a ton of close, heart-wrenching games in the first part of the season, largely because they didn’t have anyone they could give the ball to with the game on the line who could be counted on to produce in the clutch. After trading for Gay, Toronto seems to have found someone to fill that role. It was already the second time since joining the Raptors that Gay has come through with a game-winning shot.
First Star: LeBron James (30 points, nine assists, 11-15 shooting, NBA record set)
LeBron continued his insane shooting run on Tuesday, and did so to the point where he made history. He became the first player ever to score 30 or more points in six straight games, while shooting better than 60 percent from the field in each. During that six-game stretch, James has managed to shoot 66-85 from the field, good for a blistering mark of 77.6 percent. Simply ridiculous.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 14
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25