Feb 13, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks have tested the trade waters for Brandon Jennings — he’s a restricted free agent this summer they think is going to potentially get offers larger than they want to match. So do you trade him now and get something for him? The Bucks will listen.
The Mavericks are interested if Milwaukee is serious, tweeted Marc Stein of ESPN.
For the Mavericks this makes sense — they want a point guard of the future and Jennings could be that guy. Cuban has regretted on giving up on Steve Nash too quickly and would love to have someone that can play fast and lead his team. Look what Cuban said Monday, as reported by ESPNDallas.com.
“I’ll analogize it to Steve Nash,” Cuban said Monday, speaking in generalities about the type of player the Mavs would target. “Whatever we saw in Nash and [Michael] Finley with Donnie [Nelson] back then, same type of thing. There’s been lots of players we picked up over time that weren’t All-Stars that turned into cornerstones. We’d take those.
“They don’t have to be proven. They’d have to be someone we think it’s just a question of time or system or coaching or whatever.”
If the Bucks try to foist Drew Gooden as part of this deal, it likely does right there.
Even if it is just Jennings, the challenge is what would go back to the Bucks, who would want another point guard or a big man. Darren Collison or Brandan Wright are not going to get it done, so Dallas is going to have to find a way to send actual quality back.
All that said, keep your eye on Jennings for the next week, and Dallas as well.
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 25
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 1
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 26
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 31
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27