Feb 13, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks have tested the trade waters for Brandon Jennings — he’s a restricted free agent this summer they think is going to potentially get offers larger than they want to match. So do you trade him now and get something for him? The Bucks will listen.
The Mavericks are interested if Milwaukee is serious, tweeted Marc Stein of ESPN.
For the Mavericks this makes sense — they want a point guard of the future and Jennings could be that guy. Cuban has regretted on giving up on Steve Nash too quickly and would love to have someone that can play fast and lead his team. Look what Cuban said Monday, as reported by ESPNDallas.com.
“I’ll analogize it to Steve Nash,” Cuban said Monday, speaking in generalities about the type of player the Mavs would target. “Whatever we saw in Nash and [Michael] Finley with Donnie [Nelson] back then, same type of thing. There’s been lots of players we picked up over time that weren’t All-Stars that turned into cornerstones. We’d take those.
“They don’t have to be proven. They’d have to be someone we think it’s just a question of time or system or coaching or whatever.”
If the Bucks try to foist Drew Gooden as part of this deal, it likely does right there.
Even if it is just Jennings, the challenge is what would go back to the Bucks, who would want another point guard or a big man. Darren Collison or Brandan Wright are not going to get it done, so Dallas is going to have to find a way to send actual quality back.
All that said, keep your eye on Jennings for the next week, and Dallas as well.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49