Feb 13, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT
The Milwaukee Bucks have tested the trade waters for Brandon Jennings — he’s a restricted free agent this summer they think is going to potentially get offers larger than they want to match. So do you trade him now and get something for him? The Bucks will listen.
The Mavericks are interested if Milwaukee is serious, tweeted Marc Stein of ESPN.
Mavs, I'm told, do have interest in Brandon Jennings and will be in mix for him if Bucks opt to make RFA-to-be available b4 Feb. 21 deadline—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) February 13, 2013
For the Mavericks this makes sense — they want a point guard of the future and Jennings could be that guy. Cuban has regretted on giving up on Steve Nash too quickly and would love to have someone that can play fast and lead his team. Look what Cuban said Monday, as reported by ESPNDallas.com.
“I’ll analogize it to Steve Nash,” Cuban said Monday, speaking in generalities about the type of player the Mavs would target. “Whatever we saw in Nash and [Michael] Finley with Donnie [Nelson] back then, same type of thing. There’s been lots of players we picked up over time that weren’t All-Stars that turned into cornerstones. We’d take those.
“They don’t have to be proven. They’d have to be someone we think it’s just a question of time or system or coaching or whatever.”
If the Bucks try to foist Drew Gooden as part of this deal, it likely does right there.
Even if it is just Jennings, the challenge is what would go back to the Bucks, who would want another point guard or a big man. Darren Collison or Brandan Wright are not going to get it done, so Dallas is going to have to find a way to send actual quality back.
All that said, keep your eye on Jennings for the next week, and Dallas as well.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 18
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 7
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 47
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 29
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 21
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (79)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (63)
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay